Indian Railway tableau to showcase its history at R-Day parade (With images)January 25th, 2012 - 11:40 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 25 (IANS) Indian Railways will bring together its past and present through a tableau that will be showcased at the Republic Day Parade, a Central Railways official said here Wednesday.
“One of the popular trains of Indian Railways ‘Punjab Mail’ is the chosen theme of the tableau as it is the first train in the country to achieve the distinction, in recorded history, to enter the 100th year of its run. It originated from Mumbai,” the official said.
The tableau consists of the modern train juxtaposed with the older version which used to be pulled by steam engines.
‘Punjab Mail’ train now runs with electric and diesel tractions. The modern train is depicted with an electric engine pulling a sleeper class coach. It is flanked by two miniature older versions of the ‘Punjab Mail’ with the steam engines pulling the old wooden coaches. The trains are shown emerging out of a tunnel.
‘Punjab Mail’, earlier known as ‘Punjab Limited’ is the first train to achieve distinction of entering its 100th year on Indian Railways broad gauge network. The Central Railway has calculated its “birth date” based on an old document (a cost estimate paper of 1911).
The train in the beginning during British ruled India, traversed 2,496 km route and passed through Itarsi, Agra, Delhi, Amritsar and Lahore before terminating at Pehsawar Cantonment. ‘Punjab Mail’ whose services were primarily meant for the upper class white sahibs, started its services for the lower classes by mid 1930 by introducing Third class compartments.
It was in 1945, just a couple of years before India got independence, that the Punjab Mail got its first air-conditioned car.
Since independence in 1947, this train has been running between the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, Mumbai (formerly known as Victoria Terminus) and Firozepur in Punjab. The 24-coach train, a mix of air-conditioned and ordinary sleepers now traverses a distance of 1,930 km.
- Punjab Mail to show Railways' past, present on R-Day - Jan 24, 2012
- On history track: Punjab Mail chugs into 100th year (With Images) - Jun 07, 2011
- 26 injured as Punjab Mail derails near Rohtak (Second Lead) - May 06, 2012
- 20 injured as Punjab Mail derails near Rohtak (Lead) - May 06, 2012
- Mamata waves as steam engine chugs through Rajpath - Jan 26, 2010
- Four killed in Jharkhand train accident - Jan 11, 2012
- Shirdi now connected to Mumbai by rail (With Image) - Aug 27, 2010
- Five killed in Jharkhand train accident (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- India's rail budget raises fares, focuses on safety (Roundup) - Mar 14, 2012
- Five killed in Jharkhand train collision, six suspended (Second Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- AC train travel exempted from service tax - Jul 03, 2012
- Deccan Queen Express turns 81 - Jun 01, 2010
- Government rolls back railway fare hike (Lead) - Mar 22, 2012
- Central Railway turns 60 Saturday - Nov 04, 2011
- Special train for Bhutan royal couple - Oct 25, 2011
Tags: agra, amritsar, broad gauge, cantonment, central railway, chhatrapati shivaji terminus, class coach, coach train, first train, indian railway, indian railways, mail train, old document, older versions, republic day, sleeper class, sleepers, steam engines, tractions, victoria terminus