Indian Navy to seek global bids for upgrading choppersJune 9th, 2008 - 10:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 9 (IANS) India will soon float a global tender for the mid-life refurbishment of its fleet of Sea King and Kamov-28 helicopters, an official said Monday. The deal is valued at $150 million. “We will soon be issuing the RFPs (Request for Proposals) for the mid-life upgrade of the Sea King and Kamov-28 helicopters,” the official said.
“The refurbishment will involve replacing the engine, the avionics, the mission computer, the radar system and missiles,” the official added.
The navy operates 14 Sea King and 12 Kamov anti-submarine helicopters. In addition, the Sea Kings are also used for reconnaissance, search and rescue operations, and for ferrying personnel and supplies.
The Indian Navy bought the Sea Kings from Britain’s Westland Helicopters in the late 1980s but found it difficult to operate them in the wake of the sanctions imposed by the US after the Pokhran-II nuclear tests in 1998 as these prevented the sourcing of original parts from the manufacturer.
The Indian Navy then attempted to obtain from local industry components for gearboxes, rotor systems, sonar systems and electronics items for avionics. However, these fell short of reliability requirements and led to some limitations in the machine’s anti-submarine warfare operations.
While this problem did not exist in the case of the Russian-origin Kamovs, these machines are also due for a mid-life upgrade.
- Indian Navy looking for latest choppers - Oct 01, 2011
- Navy floats $900 mn tender for utility choppers - Aug 10, 2012
- Indian Navy receives offer to upgrade troop carrier's choppers - Dec 29, 2010
- India's third indigenous stealth frigate commissioning July 21 - Jun 25, 2012
- India launches its first anti-submarine corvette - Apr 19, 2010
- Indian Navy in fast forward mode (With Image) - May 16, 2012
- Britain wants sea drones to attack submarines - Aug 03, 2012
- Pakistan Navy inducts upgraded P3-C aircraft - Jun 02, 2010
- India inducts third indigenous stealth frigate (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Antony to commission Indian-built warship Saturday - Jul 20, 2012
- Russian, Chinese warships begin joint exercises - Apr 24, 2012
- Russian submarine to reach Indian shores mid-March - Feb 28, 2012
- Russian-built, BrahMos-fitted frigate set for Indian Navy induction - Dec 16, 2011
- Kochi Naval Aircraft Yard celebrates golden jubilee year - Feb 01, 2011
- Russia, China to conduct military drill - Apr 04, 2012
Tags: avionics, global bids, global tender, indian navy, industry components, kamov, mid life, mission computer, nuclear tests, pokhran, radar system, reliability requirements, rescue operations, rotor systems, russian origin, sea king, sea kings, sonar systems, submarine warfare, westland helicopters