Indian Navy foils pirate attack on Chinese vesselMay 6th, 2011 - 3:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 6 (IANS) India said Friday its warships and military aircraft had foiled a pirate attack on a Chinese cargo vessel with 24 crew members on board in the Arabian Sea off Karwar in Karnataka and forced the brigands to flee.
The Chinese-owned bulk carrier, MV Full City, was boarded by the pirates about 450 nautical miles west of Karwar on Thursday, even as the 24 Chinese sailors locked themselves in the vessel’s safe house to prevent their capture by the brigands, an Indian Navy officer said here.
The crew’s emergency message was received by Indian Navy and Coast Guard warships that were patrolling in the vicinity and they rushed to the site of the pirate attack. A naval aircraft that flew to the scene did several low passes over the ship, warning the pirates to abandon their attempt to hijack the Panama-flagged vessel.
The air crew also messaged the pirates that Indian warships were closing in on MV Full City, forcing them to abandon the vessel.
The aircraft’s crew also noticed that the pirates had boarded a skiff and rushed to a mother ship in the vicinity, following which they sailed towards Somalia at full speed, the officer said.
“MV Full City was saved from getting hijacked by the very prompt action of the Indian naval aircraft,” the officer added.
The Indian Navy has, since January, sunk four pirate mother ships in the Arabian Sea, apart from capturing 120 brigands and jailing them in India.
- Indian Navy thwarts pirate attack; rescues Chinese vessel, crew (Lead, with Images) - May 06, 2011
- Indian Navy saves Chinese ship from pirates (Roundup) - May 06, 2011
- Pirate ship sunk by navy, Coast Guard in Arabian Sea (Lead) - Jan 29, 2011
- Indian warship thwarts pirate attack on Greek vessel - Jul 19, 2011
- Navy thwarts pirate attack on two cargo ships - Sep 26, 2011
- Navy, coast guard ships sink pirate mother-vessel - Jan 29, 2011
- Indian Navy foils another piracy attempt - Nov 11, 2011
- Coast Guard plane chases pirates away off Lakshadweep - Jan 28, 2011
- Indian Navy captures 61 Somali pirates - Mar 14, 2011
- Indian Navy arrests 61 pirates, rescues 13 sailors - Mar 14, 2011
- Indian cargo ship hijacked by Somali pirates off Oman - Jan 12, 2011
- Pirates seize Indian vessel with 14 crew off Oman (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Crew of hijacked Chinese cargo ship rescued - Apr 07, 2012
- Indian Navy captures 28 Somali pirates near Lakshadweep islands - Feb 07, 2011
- Cargo ships may have armed guards to fight pirates - Mar 15, 2011
Tags: air crew, arabian sea, brigands, bulk carrier, cargo vessel, chinese sailors, chinese vessel, emergency message, flagged vessel, indian navy, karwar, mother ship, mother ships, nautical miles, naval aircraft, navy officer, pirate attack, safe house, skiff, warships