Indian Navy aircraft crashes into Hyderabad building, pilot dead (Second Lead)March 3rd, 2010 - 2:35 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, March 3 (IANS) A trainer aircraft with the Indian Navy’s aerobatics team, Sagar Pawan, crashed into a two-storied building during an air show here Wednesday. The pilot has been killed, police said.
The aircraft, an HJT-16 Kiran Mk2 trainer built by Hindustan Aeronautics, crashed a couple of minutes before noon near the old Begumpet Airport in the heart of the city.
Thousands of people were enjoying the spectacle when disaster struck, sending thick clouds of smoke into the air.
The aircraft, part of the navy’s aerobatics team that uses four trainers, was unable to pull up from a dive and went into a spiral as the planes were breaking away from the formation and going at different directions.
There were no casualties on the ground, police said.
According to witnesses, the plane had crashed into the mobile phone towers on top of the building. They heard a loud boom, after which the plane went down.
Residents were in a state of shock.
Said Ashok, who was in his house at the time: “I was inside the house when I heard a loud noise and I came out to see flames.”
Indian Navy spokesman Commander P.V. Satish said in New Delhi that he had no details but confirmed the accident had taken place.
- Navy aircraft crashes into Hyderabad building, two killed (Third Lead) - Mar 03, 2010
- Two killed as naval aircraft crashes into Hyderabad building (Fourth Lead) - Mar 03, 2010
- Two killed as naval plane crashes into Hyderabad building (Fifth Lead) - Mar 03, 2010
- Two pilots die as navy plane crashes during aerobatics (Roundup) - Mar 03, 2010
- Indian Navy plane crashes into residential area (Lead) - Mar 03, 2010
- Indian Navy plane crashes during air show - Mar 03, 2010
- Hyderabad air crash probe begins - Mar 04, 2010
- One pilot ejected in Naval plane crash - Mar 03, 2010
- Air crash will not affect Hyderabad air show: minister - Mar 03, 2010
- India Aviation not to have aerobatics display - Mar 10, 2012
- 123 Hawk trainers to be delivered by 2016: Antony - Aug 17, 2011
- Pilot, co-pilot dead after Navy jet crashes into a building in southern India - Mar 03, 2010
- Pilot killed in Begumpet naval aircraft crash - Mar 03, 2010
- Training of fresh pilots puts Sagar Pawan shows on hold - Sep 03, 2011
- Indian aerobatics teams enjoy good safety record (Comment) - Mar 14, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,