Indian economy to grow by 6.9 percent this fiscalFebruary 7th, 2012 - 1:28 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 7 (IANS) The Indian economy is expected to grow by 6.9 percent in the current fiscal, the slowest in three years, the government said in a statement Tuesday.
Fragile global economic conditions, high interest rates and the government’s inability to push through key reforms has stifled growth.
“The growth in gross domestic product (GDP) during 2011-12 is estimated at 6.9 percent as compared to the growth rate of 8.4 percent in 2010-11,” said the advanced estimates of national income released by the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation here.
In the financial year 2009-10, the economy grew by 7.4 percent.
Among key sectors that slowed down in the year, ending March, are manufacturing, which is expected to expand by just 3.9 percent, while mining sector will see a negative growth of -2.2 percent.
Agriculture too rose at a tardy pace of 2.5 percent.
Trade, hotels, transport and communication sectors are expected to grow by 11.2 percent, while financing, insurance, real estate and business services could grow by 9.1 percent.
- Indian economy to grow by 6.9 percent this fiscal (Lead) - Feb 07, 2012
- Economic growth revised upwards to 7.1 percent - Feb 22, 2012
- Economic growth may slump to 6.9 percent this fiscal (Roundup) - Feb 07, 2012
- Indian economy may grow at 8 percent in 2012-13: Rangarajan (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- India's economic growth dips to 9-year low of 5.3 percent (Roundup) - May 31, 2012
- Indian economy grows slowest in six quarters (Roundup) - Aug 30, 2011
- India's GDP growth dips to 9-year low of 5.3 percent (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Government blames domestic economic woes on global uncertainties (Roundup) - Dec 09, 2011
- India downgrades 2011-12 economic growth to 7.5 percent - Dec 09, 2011
- Northeastern states lead service sector growth - Mar 15, 2012
- Inflation will remain at same level: Pranab - Apr 17, 2012
- Growth may be revised upward from 6.9 percent: Pranab - Feb 07, 2012
- Economic Survey 2011-12 highlights - Mar 15, 2012
- GDP logs slowest quarterly growth in 3 years (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- Plan panel expects GDP growth in 2011-12 to slip from 8.5 percent (Lead) - May 31, 2011
Tags: agriculture, business services, communication sectors, estimates, gdp, global economic conditions, gross domestic product, high interest rates, hotels, implementation, indian economy, insurance, New Delhi, pace, real estate, statistics, year ending march