Indian carmakers register record salesApril 1st, 2008 - 8:26 pm ICT by admin
(Lead, Changing dateline)
New Delhi/Chennai, April 1 (IANS) India’s auto market reflected a booming economy in 2007-08 as three leading carmakers Tuesday announced record sales figures, with Maruti Suzuki India Limited registering a sales growth of 13.3 percent. The country’s largest car maker, Maruti Suzuki sold 764,842 vehicles - 711,818 units in the domestic market and 53,024 units abroad - in 2007-08, the highest ever in the history of the company.
While strengthening its leadership in the A2 segment with its Alto, WagonR, Zen, Swift models, Maruti Suzuki also attained leadership in the A3 segment with SX4, DZire, Esteem, Baleno for 2007-08. The company sold 49,335 cars in the A3 segment, logging a growth of 66.1 percent, according to a company statement.
Alto, the model currently popular among the Indian middle-class, strengthened its position as Ithe country’s top selling car, clocking volumes of 227,173 units during the year. This is the second consecutive year in which Alto sales crossed the 200,000 mark.
In line with its ambitious export plan for the medium term, Maruti Suzuki tied up with the Adani Group for a mega car terminal at Mundra Port. The terminal would be operational by the yearend.
However, the entry level Maruti-800, the popular people’s car, recorded a dip of 12.2 percent in its sales over 2006-2007, according to a company statement Tuesday
The latest baby to roll out of the Maruti stable, Dzire, launched March 26, sold 5,658 units within just six days.
During the last year, the company launched SX4 (May 2007), Grand Vitara (July 2007) and Dzire, making it seven new models in three years. It also unveiled the Concept A-Star model, created by an in-house team of designers from Maruti and Suzuki Motor Corporation, at the World Auto Expo in New Delhi earlier this year.
The company sold 64,421 units in the domestic market during March 2008.
The country’s second largest carmaker Hyundai Motor India Ltd has logged 16.1 percent growth in sales for the fiscal 2008 selling 360,937 cars - 216,495 units in the domestic market and 144,442 units in exports - against 310,786 cars including 115,525 in exports in the previous fiscal.
For the month of March 2008, its total sales stood at 47,001 units including 17,600 in exports as against 28,239 units sold during March 2007 with 8,939 units exported.
Hyundai Motor managing director H.S. Lheem said: “The newly launched compact i10 has done phenomenally well and is on its way to becoming a very popular car. Also, with the commissioning of our new plant we are now in a position to meet the growing demand for the domestic as well as overseas customers and this will help us strengthen our position in the market.”
General Motors India Pvt Ltd, the Indian subsidiary of the American carmaker, closed the fiscal 2008 selling 66,543 units, up from 38,857 units sold in the previous year.
The company saw an upswing in its volumes after it launched its small car Chevrolet Spark.
- Maruti Suzuki logs 9.2 percent sales growth - Aug 01, 2012
- Auto makers log growth despite rising prices - May 02, 2011
- Maruti Suzuki sales down 40 percent in August - Sep 01, 2012
- Maruti Suzuki's May sales down five percent - Jun 01, 2012
- Maruti Suzuki grows 24.8 percent - Apr 01, 2011
- Indian automobile sector's March sales soar (Roundup) - Apr 01, 2011
- Auto makers continue to log growth (Lead) - May 02, 2011
- Maruti Suzuki's January sales up 5.2 percent - Feb 01, 2012
- Maruti Suzuki sales dropped 7 percent in December - Jan 02, 2012
- India's car makers begin 2011 with impressive sales growth - Feb 01, 2011
- Indian auto makers post record sales in festive October - Nov 01, 2010
- Maruti Suzuki sales grow 14.74 percent at 109,743 units - Feb 01, 2011
- Maruti Suzuki's February sales up 15.5 percent - Mar 01, 2011
- US car companies lead by percentage, Asians by volume (Lead) - Jul 01, 2010
- July auto sales slump as interest rates, fuel prices rise (Roundup) - Aug 01, 2011
Tags: 2007 grand vitara, adani group, auto expo, car clocking, car terminal, carmakers, export plan, grand vitara, hyundai motor, hyundai motor india, india limited, india ltd, maruti suzuki india, second consecutive year, selling car, star model, suzuki motor, suzuki motor corporation, wagonr, world auto