Indian bank opens branch in South AfricaSeptember 13th, 2012 - 1:52 pm ICT by IANS
Johannesburg, Sep 13 (IANS) State-owned Bank of India (BoI) has opened its first branch here in a move to enhance the relationship between South Africa and India while contributing to the overall development of the BRICS grouping.
BoI Managing Director Shri Alok K. Misra said increasing business interaction and trade between the two emerging economic power houses means that banking demand of doing business is rising, Xinhua reported.
“BoI believes that the growing trade between India and South Africa has the capacity to accept another bank from India,” Misra said.
During state visit of then Indian president Pratibha Patil to South Africa in May, both countries agreed to increase two-way trade to $15 billion by 2014 from $10.64 billion. Patil and South African President Jacob Zuma called for increased businesses in both countries.
Misra said that with its presence in South Africa, BOI plans to be involved in the commercial lending to various business programs, especially the Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs).
“As part of business we also intend to take up the proposal for lending to small and medium-sized enterprises within which financing to the small scale industrial units can also be taken up on the basis of its techno-economic viability,” he said.
BoI is set to play a key role in the development of Africa. Earlier this year Zuma called on Indian business to take advantage of the huge opportunities on the African continent, particularly in infrastructure and communication.
South Africa and India both are members of BRICS, which also includes Brazil, Russia and China.
- BRICS urged to develop small, medium enterprises - Jul 11, 2012
- `BRICS investment in South Africa mining sector to grow' - Jul 14, 2012
- 'South Africa to back renminbi as international currency in BRICS Summit' - Mar 26, 2012
- BRICS to ink currency pacts, to push joint bank - Mar 28, 2012
- Zuma taunts West, says Africa is treated with respect in BRICS - Mar 29, 2012
- India, South Africa to hold joint naval exercise - Apr 14, 2011
- South Africa keen to have Indian investments - Aug 22, 2012
- South Africa pitches for greater Indian investment - Apr 08, 2012
- Patil to visit South Africa, Seychelles - Apr 27, 2012
- BRICS will offer huge opportunities for South Africa: Zuma - Apr 12, 2011
Tags: african continent, alok, bank of india, boi, business interaction, business programs, economic power, economic viability, indian business, indian president, jacob zuma, medium sized enterprises, misra, power houses, small and medium enterprises, small and medium sized enterprises, south africa johannesburg, south african president, xinhua, zuma