Indian American Yahoo co-founder joins Obama teamApril 7th, 2010 - 7:48 pm ICT by IANS
By Arun Kumar
Washington, April 7 (IANS) President Barack Obama has appointed Chandigarh-born Srinija Srinivasan, 40, one of the three co-founders of Yahoo! as a member of the White House Commission on Presidential Scholars.
Srinivasan, currently vice-president and Editor-in-Chief at Yahoo! was herself a Presidential Scholar in 1989, a prestigious honour that is awarded to over a 100 high school students each year for outstanding achievements ranging from academia, arts and leadership.
In naming Srinivasan and 11 others to the Commission, Obama said: “The Commission on Presidential Scholars is charged with recognizing the future leaders of our country and honouring them for their outstanding achievements.
“I am grateful that these impressive men and women have agreed to serve on this commission and help a new generation realize their potential and pursue their dreams.”
The eleven will join the National Teacher of the Year, Anthony Mullen, as members on the Commission, the White announcement said.
Since joining the company as its fifth employee in 1995, Srinivasan has led a range of editorial and policy functions, beginning with the organization and evolution of the Yahoo! Directory, it noted.
She has overseen network editorial standards and original content development, guided the company’s corporate responsibility arm, and directed policy issues including privacy and data use, advertising standards, youth safety, community guidelines, and accessibility.
Prior to joining Yahoo!, Srinivasan was involved with the Cyc Project, a ten-year artificial intelligence effort to build an immense database of human commonsense knowledge.
She chairs the Board of Trustees for SFJAZZ, a non-profit organization dedicated to jazz creation, presentation, and education. She is also a member of the 2000 class of Henry Crown Fellows at the Aspen Institute.
She holds a BS with distinction from Stanford University in Symbolic Systems, and was honoured as a Presidential Scholar in 1989.
- Obama names Indian-American as federal judge - Jun 12, 2012
- Obama names another Indian-American to key post - Dec 08, 2011
- 3 young Indian American scientists honoured by Obama - Oct 04, 2011
- Yahoo taps former Google executive as CEO - Jul 17, 2012
- Obama felicitates Al Pacino - Feb 16, 2012
- Obama to award Bush 'Presidential Medal of Freedom' - Nov 18, 2010
- Four young Indian-American scientists honoured by Obama - Jul 24, 2012
- US policemen honoured by Obama - May 13, 2012
- Inadvertent error in CEO's resume: Yahoo - May 04, 2012
- Obama honours Indian American activist Vijaya Emani - Oct 21, 2011
- Remove atomic scientist, expand expert panel: Kudankulam activists - Feb 10, 2012
- New AEC chairman Sinha expert on n-reactor technology (Profile) - Apr 30, 2012
- Indian named to Romney's Asian American panel - Aug 11, 2012
- IIT Bombay grad gets top US energy job - Nov 30, 2011
- Obama blames partisan bickering for US woes - Aug 12, 2011
Tags: arun kumar, aspen institute, commonsense knowledge, cyc project, editorial standards, founders of yahoo, high school students, immense database, intelligence effort, national teacher of the year, policy functions, presidential scholar, prestigious honour, safety community, stanford university, symbolic systems, white house commission, white house commission on presidential scholars, yahoo directory, youth safety