India, US ink three agreements on energyNovember 9th, 2010 - 12:42 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 8 (IANS) In keeping with US President Barack Obama’s focus on energy cooperation, three agreements were signed Monday in this sector including one on setting up a research institute on clean energy.
The agreements were part of several deals signed after talks between the visiting US president and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
The agreements included, a memorandum of understanding (MoU) for setting up a clean energy research and development centre which will be jointly funded by the two countries.
This centre will have initial priority areas of solar energy, biofuels and building efficiency.
Both countries have pledged $5 million each for the first five years.
In another energy deal, a MoU was signed on shale gas resources.
The open-ended deal will allow cooperation in characterization, assessment of Shale Gas resources in the Indian basins.
It will also result in cooperative activities in technical studies and training of Indian personnel in the area of resource assessment of shale gas.
The US Geological Survey (USGS) will carry out studies on shale gas resources and will provide report to India.
The third MoU was to establish an India-US Energy Cooperation Programme, which will be an organization of Indian and US companies to promote clean energy and energy efficiency business.
- India, US enhance bilateral ties through six pacts - Nov 08, 2010
- India, US to sign shale gas deal during Obama visit - Oct 27, 2010
- Shale gas exploration policy by March 2013: Reddy - Mar 13, 2012
- China to promote shale gas - Feb 13, 2012
- India to formulate policy to tap shale gas - Mar 11, 2011
- India, Saskatchewan sign MoU on mineral resources - Mar 15, 2011
- India, Russia sign 29 agreements from defence to trade - Dec 22, 2010
- Pakistan, China sign MoUs on first day of Wen's visit - Dec 18, 2010
- India, US initial pact on joint clean energy research centre - Aug 20, 2010
- India, Russia sign 30 pacts - Dec 21, 2010
- Pakistan, Turkmenistan ink five accords - Nov 15, 2011
- India, Myanmar ink a dozen agreements (Lead) - May 28, 2012
- AMU signs MoU with Iran - Jan 29, 2012
- Bangladesh signs LNG import deal with Qatar - Jan 17, 2011
- India, Switzerland ink deal for energy efficiency - Nov 10, 2011
Tags: barack obama, biofuels, clean energy, cooperative activities, energy cooperation, energy deal, energy efficiency, first five years, gas resources, initial priority, manmohan, manmohan singh, memorandum of understanding, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, priority areas, resource assessment, shale gas, us geological survey, us ink