India upbeat about tea exports this fiscalNovember 19th, 2008 - 5:50 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Nov 19 (IANS) Even in a worsening economic scenario, India is expected to export over 200 million kg tea this fiscal, up from last year’s 179 million kg, a union minister said here Wednesday.”It’s too early to predict. Even under most pessimistic situation, net tea export will be over 200 million kg,” Minister of State for Commerce and Power Jairam Ramesh told reporters after inaugurating electronic auction (e-auction) of tea.
During the past many years, the average export of tea from India was 185 million kg. Before the economic downturn, India had targeted to export 210 million kg, Ramesh said.
The country is extremely bullish regarding tea export to countries like Egypt, Iraq, Iran and Pakistan, apart from the traditional big importing countries like the United Arab Emirates, the UK and Russia.
Aiming at transparent and better auctioning of tea, the e-auctioning will start at Guwahati and Dibrugarh (Assam) from Dec 8-9, at Jalpaiguri and Siliguri (West Bengal) from Dec 13-14 and at Connoor (Tamil Nadu) and Kochi (Kerala) from Dec 19-20.
All the seven physical auction centres of tea would fully switch to electronic auctioning by Jan 27, the minister said.
A single auction platform would be established by Sep 9, abolishing all these seven auction centres, said, Ramesh adding that the existing physical auctioning centres will be converted into warehouses for tea.
The total amount of tea that goes into e-auctioning every year is around 500 million kg.
The Tea Board of India has roped in Reliance Communications, which will provide the MPLS-VPN leased line, which provides network connectivity, for conducting the e-auctioning across the seven centres. NSE.IT is providing the software for carrying out auction using the electronic platform.
- J. Thomas expects to auction over 200 mn kg tea this year - Dec 16, 2011
- Technical glitch hits Darjeeling tea e-auction plan - Jun 18, 2012
- Darjeeling tea e-auction expected soon - Feb 08, 2012
- NIIT Tech to set up e-auction platform for tobacco board - Aug 01, 2012
- Upasi to hold e-auctions for tea producers - Sep 14, 2010
- 'Tea auction in Kolkata to be fully electronic by April' - Jan 08, 2010
- Centre will help revive Kangra tea: Anand Sharma - Apr 10, 2012
- DD to have 150 channels on DTH platform by year-end - Sep 12, 2011
- MFN status will spur Indian tea exports to Pakistan - Oct 25, 2011
- Tea exporters turn to Russia following Iran crisis - Feb 08, 2012
- India strives to revive tea exports to Egypt - Sep 13, 2010
- Tea Board earmarks Rs.300 crore for small growers - Apr 28, 2012
- Power plants to get some coal through e-auction route - Oct 12, 2011
- MARS Group aiming to produce 5 mn kg of tea in 2013 - Dec 21, 2011
- Indian tea makers to showcase brew at London Olympics - Jul 25, 2012