India to work on 1,000MW fast-breeder reactorsJanuary 27th, 2010 - 12:12 am ICT by IANS
Kapakkam (Tamil Nadu), Jan 26 (IANS) The Indira Gandhi Centre of Atomic Research (IGCAR) will soon work on higher capacity reactors after two more 500MW fast breeder reactors were approved by the government at Kalpakkam, its director said Tuesday.
“Work on setting up the two new 500MW fast breeder reactors will start in 2014. This will be in addtion to the upcoming fast reactor of similar capacity. In future, we will be looking at 1,000MW reactors,” IGCAR director Baldev Raj told at Kalpakkam, 80 km from here, on the sidelines of the valedictory function for the vocational training course on non-destructive testing.
A fast breeder reactor is one which breeds more material for a nuclear fission reaction than it consumes and is key to India’s three-stage nuclear power programme.
The IGCAR designed 500MW fast reactor is being built at Kalpakkam by Bharatiya Nabhikiya Vidyut Nigam Ltd (Bhavini).
According to Raj, the civil work for the project is almost complete and the reactor will be commissioned next October.
He said the world is keenly looking at the prototype fast breeder reactor (PFBR) and India is a special invitee at the nuclear energy summit to be held in Vienna in March.
- India's first fast breeder reactor to go critical early 2013 - Jan 21, 2012
- Madras Atomic Power Station to restart after shutdown - Aug 20, 2012
- 86 percent work on Kalpakkam N-plant complete: Official - Apr 30, 2012
- Bhavini takes measures in favour of fast reactor project - Jun 11, 2012
- India's first fast-breeder reactor to cost Rs.5,677 crore - Apr 30, 2011
- India committed to fast breeder reactor programme - Oct 10, 2010
- Testing of India's fast breeder reactor by September - Jan 11, 2012
- Bhavini, fast-breeder reactor operator, to raise Rs.1,200 crore - Jun 10, 2012
- Top level changes at two atomic power operators (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Work on two more fast breeder reactors begins - Sep 14, 2010
- Top level changes at two atomic power operators - Jun 01, 2012
- India's fast breeder test reactor going strong at 25 - Oct 09, 2010
- India's fast breeder reactor set to achieve fourth milestone - Sep 13, 2010
- Kalpakkam nuclear reactors not affected by cyclone Thane - Dec 30, 2011
- India's new fast-breeder on track, nuclear power from September next - May 11, 2010
Tags: addtion, atomic research, destructive testing, energy summit, fast breeder reactor, fast breeder reactors, fast reactor, igcar, indira gandhi, indira gandhi centre, invitee, nigam ltd, nuclear energy, nuclear fission reaction, nuclear power, prototype, sidelines, tamil nadu, vienna, vocational training