India to support Afghanistan in building media capacitiesMay 24th, 2011 - 11:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 24 (IANS) India Tuesday signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Afghanistan for building capacities in that country for development of media policies, graphic designing, broadcasting activities and marketing of programmes.
The MoU was signed by Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni and Afghan Minister of Information and Culture Sayed Makhdoom Raheen.
Soni said the initiative would enable Afghanistan to learn from key policy initiatives taken by her ministry concerning digitalisation, self regulation and content management.
According to an official spokesman, Soni gave an overview of the policy changes that have enabled the growth of the media and entertainment industry in the last few years in India.
Raheen said the agreement will enable his country to draw a roadmap for media policies and strategies in the future.
The spokesman said the focus of the MoU was on capacity development in areas such as development of media policies and strategies, and independent and free press in Afghanistan.
The MoU also covers identification of areas of reforms, development and standardisation of media related programmes, graphic designing, production of documentaries and films, production and broadcasting activities of the Radio and Television of Afghanistan (RTA), including content management and marketing of TV and radio programmes for revenue generation.
The spokesman said that the MoU has been signed in the backdrop of a range of activities being conducted by the ministry, including training by Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC) to Afghan journalists.
India has helped build the RTA stations at Jalalabad.
India is also providing satellite uplinking facilities to the RTA. A process has also been initiated to facilitate the flow of films from India into Afghanistan, the spokesman added.
- India to help Afghanistan develop tourism - May 27, 2011
- India to help Afghanistan in expanding media network - Aug 01, 2011
- India, Afghanistan ink culture pact - May 27, 2011
- Now movies to promote Incredible India abroad - Feb 16, 2012
- India, Afghanistan sign MoU on labour cooperation - Jun 16, 2010
- India, Afghanistan sign pact on iron and steel - Apr 09, 2012
- Broadcasters hail passing of digitalisation bill - Dec 14, 2011
- Ambika Soni to inaugurate 'National Community Radio Sammelan' - Apr 06, 2011
- India likely to get role in Afghan military affairs - Jun 22, 2010
- NHRC to support Afghanistan rights efforts - May 06, 2011
- 'Digital transmission in four metros from July' - Mar 14, 2012
- FDI limit hike proposed in broadcasting sector - Aug 09, 2011
- AMU, Colombo varsity sign MoU - Apr 02, 2011
- Afghanistan to get Indian help in upholding human rights (Lead) - May 06, 2011
- Andhra to tie-up with Israel - Jan 27, 2011
Tags: ambika soni, backdrop, documentaries, entertainment industry, films production, iimc, indian institute of mass communication, jalalabad, management and marketing, media policies, memorandum of understanding, mou, policy initiatives, revenue generation, roadmap, rta, satellite uplinking, self regulation, spokesman said that, standardisation