India to soon unveil fiscal consolidation measuresAugust 6th, 2012 - 7:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 6 (IANS) The government will soon unveil measures to bring more discipline in spending and return to the path of fiscal consolidation, Finance Minister P. Chidambaram said Monday.
“We intend to unveil, shortly, a path of fiscal consolidation,” Chidambaram said in his first media interaction after taking charge of the finance portfolio.
The finance minister said he has formed a three-member panel to assist the government in formulating the path of fiscal consolidation. “We expect that the work will be completed in a few weeks,” he said.
In the union budget announced in March, the government set a target to reduce fiscal deficit to 5.1 percent in the current financial year. But the target is unlikely to be met due to high spending on subsidies, especially on petroleum products.
“I would like to make it clear that the burden of fiscal correction must be shared, fairly and equitably, by different classes of stakeholders,” he said.
“Poor must be protected and others must bear their fair share of the burden. Obviously, adjustments must be made both on the revenue side and on the expenditure side,” Chidambaram said without elaborating on what the government planned to do to cut spending.
- Chidambaram hints at modifying tax norms, cut deficit (Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Chidambaram to fine-tune investment policies, spur growth (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- India may slow down to 8.4 percent in 2011: World Bank - Jan 13, 2011
- Government to stick to fiscal deficit target, borrowing limit - Apr 09, 2011
- RBI will adjust monetary policy to spur growth: Pranab (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2012
- Steps soon to check fiscal, curent account deficits: Chidambaram (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Susidies to be cut soon, says Rangarajan (Lead) - Jun 29, 2012
- Government subsidy burden at 10-year high - Mar 06, 2012
- IMF unveils wish-list for economic crisis-hit Pakistan - Mar 12, 2011
- Growth should be given priority in budget: CII - Jan 22, 2012
- Government to cut its expenditure, launch austerity drive - Jun 01, 2012
- Chidambaram's efforts will help revive growth: FICCI - Aug 07, 2012
- Pakistani daily wants tough fiscal, tax reforms - Apr 13, 2012
- Tax collections, notably in services, encouraging: Mukherjee - Jul 27, 2011
- Some positives in budget, says India Inc; displeased with taxes - Mar 16, 2012
Tags: discipline, expenditure side, fair share, finance minister, finance portfolio, fiscal consolidation, fiscal deficit, India, media interaction, member panel, New Delhi, p chidambaram, petroleum products, stakeholders, subsidies, target, union budget