India to move fast on skills training: ChidambaramMarch 4th, 2008 - 9:45 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 4 (IANS) The Indian government will like to see the first institute under its ambitious skill development programme to be in place by July. “I want to move very fast on this,” Finance Minister P. Chidambaram told an interactive session with members of the Confederation of Indian Industry here Tuesday.
“I am prepared. I want to see how well you respond,” he told industrialists.
The minister has proposed in India’s national budget for 2008-09 unveiled Feb 29 to establish a non-profit organisation to impart skill development with a contribution of Rs.10 billion from the government.
The proposal calls for a capital of Rs.150 billion from both the government and the private sector to address the challenge of imparting the skills required by a growing economy to reap the potential the country holds for a demographic dividend.
The budget also proposed to spend Rs.7.5 billion in 2008-09 to upgrade 300 Indian Technical Institutes (ITIs) that impart vocational training.
The minister expressed concern Tuesday that the industry had not responded to the extent envisaged to the government’s invitation for adopting various ITIs.
- Broadband at grassroots for social inclusion: PM - Mar 18, 2011
- Government to set up 10 community colleges for skill development - Sep 06, 2012
- India raises education, health spending (Second Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- Vocational training for 1 mn Indians with Swiss help - Nov 07, 2011
- Declare 2012 as year of 'Proud to be Skilled Indian' (Comment) - Dec 25, 2011
- Education gets 24 percent hike (Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- Education gets 24 percent hike in budget allocation - Feb 28, 2011
- Chhattisgarh to set up ITIs in Maoist-hit districts - May 28, 2011
- 'Construction equipment industry needs more skilled workforce' - Nov 26, 2011
- Development deficit dogs poll-bound states - Jan 19, 2012
- Six pharma research institutes to be set up - Sep 30, 2011
- Kerala to launch virtual classrooms in 34 ITIs - May 14, 2012
- Skill development for 500 million Indians: A mantra for action (Comment) - Feb 13, 2011
- Haryana to set up 13 Industrial Training Institutes - Sep 18, 2010
- India Inc., NRIs react to Pranab's budget - Feb 28, 2011
Tags: confederation of indian industry, dividend, economy, extent, feb 29, finance minister, indian government, industrialists, interactive session, invitation, itis, national budget, New Delhi, p chidambaram, private sector, profit organisation, proposal, skill development, technical institutes, vocational training