India to have national intellectual property rights strategyApril 26th, 2012 - 5:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 26 (IANS) The Indian government has set up a sectoral council to prepare national intellectual property rights strategy with a view to incentivise innovation, a senior official said Thursday.
Saurabh Chandra, secretary, department of industrial policy and promotion (DIPP), said the DIPP has set up the council on intellectual property rights with the objective of preparing a national strategy that incentivises innovation and allows diffusion of new technologies leading to efficiency gains for the economy.
“Unless there is an effective rights system, there would always be a danger of usurpation of the rights which could hinder the transformation of new ideas and creativity into industrial applications,” Chandra said while inaugurating a conference on intellectual property policy.
The conference was organised by the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) in association with DIPP and Intellectual Property India on the occasion of World Intellectual Property Day.
Chandra said intellectual property rights were becoming extremely important in the changing global economic scenario.
“Companies that wish to sustain themselves in such markets would need to continuously innovate in production processes and in products and services such that quality products are provided at prices lower than ever before,” he said.
- Delhi to get patents centre for small and medium units - Apr 25, 2012
- Rs.3000 crore venture capital fund to drive pharma growth - Jul 12, 2010
- Would like 100 sectoral-level innovation councils: Pitroda - Nov 16, 2011
- Some Bengal laws hinder land acquisition by industry: FICCI - Jul 01, 2011
- Innovation a game-changer, must focus on poverty: PM - Nov 15, 2011
- US-India business summit sees huge potential (Lead, changing dateline) - Apr 29, 2012
- Huge potential seen in US-India business ties - Apr 29, 2012
- Task force to strengthen Indian pharma industry - Mar 15, 2011
- FICCI to open office in Nepal - Dec 04, 2011
- Technical textiles industry to grow to Rs.1.4 trillion by 2017 - Aug 25, 2011
- Manufacturing ecosystem, uniform tax rate for handsets called for - Nov 02, 2011
- Awareness campaign on intellectual property rights in UAE - Dec 29, 2010
- RBI frees savings interest rates - Oct 25, 2011
- Technical textile industry deserves tax sops: FICCI - Dec 26, 2010
- Peace dividend: India allows investments from Pakistan (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
Tags: chambers of commerce, chambers of commerce and industry, chandra, dipp, economic scenario, efficiency gains, ficci, indian chambers of commerce, indian government, industrial applications, intellectual property policy, intellectual property rights, national strategy, production processes, property india, saurabh, secretary department, sectoral council, usurpation, world intellectual property