‘India-Thailand trade can reach $12 billion by 2012′January 24th, 2011 - 10:16 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Jan 24 (IANS) Bilateral trade between India and Thailand could go up to $12 billion by 2012 from the present level of $5-6 billion, Royal Thai Consul General in Kolkata Prasittidesh Vichitsorasatra said Monday.”We will try our best to achieve the figure of $12 billion bilateral trade with India by 2012,” Vichitsorasatra said at the meeting on ‘Enhancing Indo-Thai Business Cooperation’, organised by the Bengal National Chamber of Commerce and Industry (BNCCI) here.
On the ongoing political unrest and anti-government agitation in Thailand, he said: “It will not affect the trade as the protests are not being carried out in business areas. Most of the people of the country want the end of the unrest.”
India and Thailand signed a Free Trade Agreement (FTA) Oct 9, 2003, for enhancing cooperation in agriculture, tourism and science.
But there were obstacles to trade and investment activities in India, he said, adding that these were visa requirements and difficult and prolonged procedure to import Thai food stuff.
However, he said that there were prospects for joint-venture between India and Thailand in many sectors.
“In the areas like construction of roads and other infrastructure, hotel and restaurant and tourist activities, both the countries have prospects for joint-venture,” he added.
- India-Thailand bilateral trade expected to go up to $10 bn by 2012 - May 12, 2011
- Thai envoy pitches for city-city trade investment - Jul 15, 2011
- India, Thailand to boost anti-terror cooperation, to sign FTA (Second Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- India's 'Look East' policy has strategic goals (Comment) - Oct 26, 2010
- India, Thailand review FTA talks, push trilateral highway - Aug 10, 2012
- India, Israel to hold FTA talks Aug 14-16 - Aug 13, 2012
- India, Thailand target $10 billion trade by 2012 - Apr 05, 2011
- New Zealand 'determined' to conclude FTA with India - Apr 24, 2012
- India-Israel trade can go up to $15 bn, says envoy - Jun 20, 2012
- The sky is the limit for ASEAN-India cooperation (Comment) - Oct 27, 2010
- Thai PM chief guest at Republic Day parade - Jan 23, 2012
- India-Thailand FTA by middle of 2012 - Jan 25, 2012
- PM to hold talks with Medvedev, Putin - Dec 16, 2011
- UBI proposal for India-Myanmar trade - Mar 19, 2012
- Thai prime minister arrives in India, focus on trade ties - Apr 05, 2011
Tags: agitation, agriculture tourism, bengal, bilateral trade, business areas, business cooperation, chamber of commerce and industry, consul general, food stuff, free trade agreement, investment activities, jan 24, joint venture, political unrest, thai business, thai consul, thai food, thailand trade, tourist activities, visa requirements