India targets one percent global tourist arrivalsJuly 5th, 2012 - 5:57 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 5 (IANS) India is aiming to attract one percent of the total world tourist arrivals by the end of the 12th Five Year Plan (2012-17), says Tourism Minister Subodh Kant Sahai.
“Tourism will be made a sector for employment generation and economic generation. Our target is to attain one percent of the world tourist arrivals by the end of the 12th Five Year Plan,” Sahai said at the 8th Indo-American Corporate Excellence Awards function here late Wednesday.
Foreign tourist arrivals in India in 2011 was 6.29 million and the country earned $16.56 billion in foreign exchange.
Of these, nearly 16 percent of the tourists came from the US, Sahai said, adding the need to promote tourism between India and the US as the latter was the top source for inbound tourism to this country.
On this front, the minister said India has 33 functional Institutes of Hotel Management comprising 21 Central IHMs and 12 state IHMs and six food craft institutes.
The minister said faculty exchange programmes can be organised between the human resource development institutes in the two countries for promotion of tourism.
- Now movies to promote Incredible India abroad - Feb 16, 2012
- India to focus on building tourism infrastructure: Minister - Sep 09, 2011
- 35 new tourist circuits to be developed under 12th Plan - Dec 14, 2011
- 100,000 skilled workers to join tourism sector - Jul 05, 2012
- Foreign tourist flow to touch 8 mn by 2015 - Mar 11, 2011
- India, Mauritius to strengthen travel trade - Jul 13, 2012
- India to host Global Tourism Mart - Sep 08, 2011
- Tourism should be part of political agenda: Sahai - Jul 06, 2012
- Tourism minister launches Clean India Campaign - Jun 19, 2012
- Tourism minister calls for higher regional cooperation (Lead) - Jan 28, 2011
- Government mulling visa-on-arrival scheme for 10 more countries - Sep 07, 2012
- Government to attact more tourists to northeast: Minister - Nov 19, 2011
- MoU with ASEAN will boost joint tourism, feels India - Jan 13, 2012
- 'Clean India' campaign to boost tourism - Dec 20, 2011
- Saving tiger, tourism can go on together: Sahay - Jul 29, 2012
Tags: corporate excellence, development institutes, economic generation, employment generation, excellence awards, faculty exchange, foreign exchange, hotel management, human resource development, ihms, inbound tourism, indo american, kant, sahai, subodh, target, top source, tourism minister, tourist arrivals, world tourist