India, Russia target $20 bn trade by 2015June 21st, 2012 - 8:20 pm ICT by IANS
St. Petersburg, June 21 (IANS) India and Russia have set a target to increase bilateral trade to $20 billion by 2015 from around $9 billion in 2011, Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma said Thursday.
Addressing a group of political and business leaders from Russia and India at the third “India-Russia Business Dialogue” held under the umbrella of the St. Petersburg International Economic Forum 2012 here, Sharma said the two countries target to more than double the bilateral trade over the next five years.
“We have set for ourselves an ambitious target of reaching $20 billion bilateral trade by 2015,” Sharma said.
Bilateral trade between India and Russia was nearly $9 billion in 2011.
Sharma emphasised on the need for diversifying trade basket, saying it would help boost two-way trade.
“There is a need to diversify the trade basket between our countries as the current profile of trade is dominated by commodities with large imports of iron, steel, fertiliser and oil from Russia. We need to expand the trade basket to have more value added products,” he said.
The minister also emphasised on the need for boosting two-way investments and urged Russian entrepreneurs to increase investments in India, especially in infrastructure sector.
He said India targets to invest $1 trillion in infrastructure sector over the next five years and would welcome Russian participation in building strong infrastructure base.
“We are also building gas and oil pipelines and Russian companies have considerable expertise in pipeline construction technologies which will greatly be valued. In the telecom sector, of course, we have seen the emergence of flourishing partnerships between India and Russia which will see investments of over $1.5 billion in the coming years,” Sharma said.
- India, Russia target $20 billion trade by 2015 - Dec 20, 2010
- South Africa pitches for greater Indian investment - Apr 08, 2012
- India, Myanmar target to double trade by 2015 - Sep 27, 2011
- Indian, Russian companies ink lucrative deals, target $20 bn trade (Lead) - Dec 20, 2010
- India-Russia trade target of US $ 20 billion trade by 2015 achievable: Anand Sharma - Dec 20, 2010
- Saudi Arabia seeks to boost trade, investment with India - Jan 04, 2012
- Anand Sharma to attend St. Petersburg International Economic Forum - Jun 16, 2010
- Iraq seeks Indian investments - Feb 27, 2012
- Medvedev Visit: Yet another step in strengthening Indo-Russian ties - Dec 10, 2010
- India, Russia ink 19 business deals, explore trade pact - Dec 21, 2010
- Chinese, Russian PMs pledge closer cooperation - Oct 11, 2011
- India seeks greater Chinese market access to curb trade deficit - Dec 15, 2010
- Saudi, Indian firms explore investment options (Lead) - Feb 24, 2011
- India, Russia target $20 billion trade by 2015 - Sep 30, 2010
- Energy, economy high on PM's agenda in Russia - Dec 15, 2011
Tags: ambitious target, anand sharma, bilateral trade, business dialogue, construction technologies, emphasised, fertiliser, industry minister, infrastructure base, infrastructure sector, international economic, iron steel, oil pipelines, pipeline construction, russia business, russian companies, russian entrepreneurs, russian participation, telecom sector, value added products