India Post inaugurates National Philatelic MuseumJuly 11th, 2011 - 8:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 11 (IANS) The Department of Posts (DoP) Monday inaugurated the National Philatelic Museum which will exhibit rare postage stamps from across the world and also provide a platform to philatelists to exhibit their collections.
“The museum will provide enhanced and interactive platform for promoting philately and will stimulate interest for stamp collection among children,” Radhika Doraiswamy, secretary Department of Posts, told reporters here.
The museum will be open Mondays to Fridays — it will also be open on Saturdays for school groups on request. It will have an entry fee but the amount has yet not been decided. “There will be a nominal entry fee,” said Doraiswamy.
The museum has bays dedicated to Mahatma Gandhi and the prime ministers of India, along with freedom fighters. It also has stamps on several themes such as science and technology, transport and wildlife.
There are stamps from abroad, and displays from the Army Postal Service and India Security Press, Nashik.
The museum also has an amphitheatre for talk shows and presentations along with a reference library. In the artists corner, the department has showcased the actual designing of a stamp and also plans to invite artists from time to time to give live demonstrations.
- President Patil inaugurates World Philatelic Exhibition 'INDIPEX 2011' - Feb 12, 2011
- Delhiites stamp their love for philately - Feb 14, 2011
- Patil opens World Philatelic Exhibition in Delhi - Feb 12, 2011
- India Post to print best tiger stamps by students - Dec 12, 2010
- Stamp of khadi for philatelists at exhibition - Feb 12, 2011
- Journey of Indian railways depicted through stamps - Nov 06, 2009
- Srinagar gets floating post office - Aug 22, 2011
- School students take part in philately exhibition in Delhi - Dec 12, 2010
- Indian stamps released in Indonesia (With Images) - Jun 20, 2012
- Bank employee with 5,000 stamps wants to start museum - Aug 08, 2009
- India's history stamped in silver and gold (With Images) - Dec 30, 2009
- Postage stamp on YSR released - Sep 02, 2010
- Shera stamps do roaring business at Games Village - Sep 30, 2010
- Stamp to mark Pope John Paul's India visit silver jubilee - Apr 29, 2011
- Pakistani child prodigy's stamp issued - Feb 03, 2012
Tags: artists corner, bays, freedom fighters, fridays, india post, interactive platform, mahatma gandhi, ministers of india, national philatelic, philatelic museum, philately, postage stamps, postal service, prime ministers of india, reference library, saturdays, school groups, science and technology, secretary department, stamp collection