India plans to build $5-bn power plant in IranAugust 25th, 2009 - 4:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 25 (IANS) State-owned power utility NTPC is planning to build a power plant in Iran worth Rs.25,000 crore (Rs.250 billion/$5 billion), Power Secretary H.S. Brahma said here on Tuesday.
The plant will be able to generate at least 5,000 MW of power.
“A smaller power station will not be viable as the power will be transmitted to India across a 1,000-km high-voltage transmission line,” Brahma said.
“This is a proposal from the ministry of external affairs. A team from Iran is likely to visit India this year to explore the possibility of investing in India and vice versa,” Brahma told reporters on the sidelines of a business meet.
PowerGrid Corp of India will build transmission network, he said.
–Indo-Asian news service
- Jaypee's transmission line synchronized with Powergrid - Mar 06, 2012
- Dhaka, Delhi get moving on power grid connectivity - Feb 19, 2010
- Jharkhand to spend Rs.1,600 crore to lay power lines - Feb 26, 2012
- NTPC begins work on power project in Karnataka - Jun 02, 2012
- Power crisis grips northeast India: Tripura minister - May 10, 2012
- Areva T&D; signs pact with Power Grid Corporation - Jul 25, 2011
- Northeastern India's largest power project to ease electricity woes - Nov 21, 2011
- Indian-American engineer set to transform US power grid - Mar 31, 2010
- Jaypee's hydropower corridor to be set up this month - Jul 03, 2011
- Telangana collieries strike hits power supplies in south India - Sep 15, 2011
- India to produce 20,000 MW of solar power by 2022 - Jan 18, 2011
- India, Bangladesh sign power plant deal - Jan 29, 2012
- Areva T&D; restructuring to be over by early 2012 - Aug 06, 2011
- IVRCL Group bags orders worth Rs.4,081 crore - Apr 02, 2012
- $1-bn World Bank loan sought for urban development - Dec 04, 2009
Tags: ank, asian news, bn, brahma, crore, high voltage, indo, investing in india, ministry of external affairs, mw, New Delhi, ntpc, power plant, power secretary, rs 250, sidelines, transmission line, transmission network, voltage transmission, worth rs