India now has 851.7 mn mobile phonesAugust 8th, 2011 - 9:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 8 (IANS) India, a country of 1.2 billion people, now has 851.7 million mobile phone subscribers, with 11.41 million connections added in June, according to official data released Monday.
The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) said the wireless user base grew 1.36 percent, from 840.28 million in May.
While the share of urban subscribers declined to 66 percent from 66.02 percent, the share of rural subscribers marginally increased from 33.98 percent to 34 percent, the report said Monday.
With this, the total number of telephone subscriber base touched 885.99 million, registering a growth of 1.29 percent.
Overall teledensity in India reached 73.97.
However, of the total 851.70 million wireless subscribers in March, only 594.77 million were active subscribers on the date of peak visitor location register (VLR).
VLR is a temporary database of the subscribers who have roamed into the particular area which it serves. Each base station in the network is served by exactly one VLR, hence a subscriber cannot be present in more than one VLR at a time.
The growth in this category was led by telecom giant Bharti Airtel, which added 2.12 million users to take its subscriber base to 169.19 million users.
Reliance Communications followed next with an addition of 2.1 million new subscribers, taking its subscriber base to 143.27 million.
Vodafone added 2.1 million subscribers to take its total number of customers to 141.5 million.
Idea Cellular added 1.36 million subscribers, increasing its subscribers count to 95.1 million while Uninor added 9,43,924 million subscribers to have 26.33 million subscribers.
According to the data, the broadband subscriber base grew 1.64 percent from 12.12 million in May to 12.32 million in June 2011.
However, the wireline segment declined marginally from 34.4 million in May to 34.29 million at the end of June.
- India's mobile subscriber base crosses 840 mn - Jul 07, 2011
- India now has 858.4 million mobile phone subscribers - Sep 09, 2011
- Tata Teleservices loses 4.4 mn subscribers in November - Jan 09, 2012
- India's mobile subscriber base crosses 865.7 mn - Oct 20, 2011
- Bharti adds 2 mn subscribers in May, India total now 929 mn - Jul 05, 2012
- India's mobile subscriber base reaches 893.84 mn - Jan 30, 2012
- Uninor leads India to 903.73 mn mobile subscribers - Mar 06, 2012
- India's mobile subscriber base reaches 919.17 million in March - May 03, 2012
- India now has 811.59 mn mobile phone subscribers (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- India's mobile subscriber base touches 811.59 million - Apr 29, 2011
- India's mobile subscriber base touches 791.38 million - Apr 07, 2011
- India's mobile subscribers at 771.18 million - Mar 04, 2011
- India adds 8.58 million GSM subscribers in June - Jul 18, 2011
- Actual tele-density is 41 not 66 percent: Study - May 03, 2011
- India adds 14.5 million GSM subscribers in March - Apr 15, 2011
Tags: 1 million, 5 million, bharti airtel, idea cellular, million subscribers, mobile phone subscribers, New Delhi, peak visitor, reliance, subscriber base, telecom giant, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india, teledensity in india, telephone subscriber, trai, visitor location, vlr, vodafone, wireless subscribers