India, Mauritius agree to push for trade pactJuly 6th, 2012 - 8:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 6 (IANS) India and Mauritius Friday agreed to hasten negotiations on the proposed Preferential Trade Agreement, with a view to boost bilateral trade and enhance economic engagements.
Mauritian Minister of Foreign Affairs, Regional Integration and International Trade Arvin Bollel and India’s Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma called for early conclusion of the deal during a meeting here.
“The bilateral economic and commercial ties have shown a healthy upward trajectory, but there is still a lot of untapped potential in diversifying our commercial exchanges,” Sharma said.
The two ministers agreed to hasten the Preferential Trade Agreement (PTA) negotiations and deepen economic engagements, according to an official statement released after the meeting.
India has been the largest source of imports for Mauritius since 2007. However, in sectors like agro-processing, manufacturing, drugs and pharmaceuticals, medical equipment, seafood, automobile parts, tourism and hospitality, IT and IT enabled services and Ayurveda, there is scope to further deepen the ties, Sharma said.
Bilateral trade between India and Mauritius rose to $1.39 billion in 2011 as compared to $687 million in the previous year.
In 2011, India’s exports to Mauritius were worth $1.36 billion, while imports were $34 million.
The two ministers called for increasing cooperation in textiles sector.
- India seeks Mauritius investment in key sectors - Feb 07, 2012
- Mauritius PM heads to India - Feb 04, 2012
- Free trade pact with India by 2013: Canada PM - Apr 01, 2011
- Mauritius invites Indian investments - Feb 08, 2012
- India, South Africa to discuss trade pacts in October - Aug 31, 2010
- Pakistan, Indonesia sign Preferential Trade Agreement - Feb 03, 2012
- Argentina buys Indian pharma products worth $200 million - May 04, 2011
- Krishna leaves for Mauritius, Mozambique - Jul 02, 2010
- India mulling free trade pacts with African countries - May 15, 2012
- India, Pakistan agree to consider PTA (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- Krishna heads to Mauritius, Mozambique (Lead) - Jul 01, 2010
- Bilateral trade with US would grow beyond 50 billion dollars in 2011: Anand Sharma - Feb 07, 2011
- Anand Sharma calls for expansion of India-Morocco ties - Apr 29, 2011
- India to ink social security pact with Canada soon - Sep 25, 2010
- India provides $250 mn line of credit, $20 mn grant to Mauritius (Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
Tags: anand, ayurveda, bilateral trade, commercial exchanges, commercial ties, engagements, industry minister, international trade, medical equipment, minister of foreign affairs, negotiations, New Delhi, pharmaceuticals, previous year, pta, regional integration, s commerce, sectors, trade pact, upward trajectory