India looks to central Asia for securing oil, gas suppliesNovember 25th, 2008 - 4:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 25 (IANS) India is looking for greater “synergy in energy” with central Asian countries, Petroleum Minister Murli Deora said here Tuesday.Deora said ONGC Videsh Ltd, the overseas arm of India’s Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC), has made its largest investment of $8 billion in Russia’s Sakhalin 1 oilfield project.
Additionally, he said, India is in discussion with Turkmenistan to source gas from that CIS nation through a multinational pipeline. India already produces gas in Tajikistan and is looking for opportunities in Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan and Uzbekistan.
Deora was speaking at the two-day India-CIS roundtable on hydrocarbons being jointly organised by the ministry of petroleum and natural gas and the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry.
Referring to the current volatility in oil prices, the minister said oil suppliers and consumer countries should enter into a stable and secure arrangement.
“We feel that it would be in our common interest to have a more stable and secure arrangement for supply of oil to consumers, along with a sustainable pattern of oil prices beneficial to both the producers and consumers,” he said.
“Greater stability in oil prices will also ensure that there is enough long-term investment in the sector so that access to oil is not restricted,” Deora said, adding: “We also seek greater transparency in formulation of oil prices so that a healthy market could be put in place.”
- India, Russia to increase hydrocarbon cooperation - Dec 21, 2010
- Deora invites investments by CIS regions companies in Oil and Gas sector in India - Nov 25, 2008
- India-CIS hydrocarbon roundtable to begin Tuesday - Nov 24, 2008
- ONGC Videsh inks deal with PetroVietnam - Oct 12, 2011
- Petroleum minister suggests joint projects to Russia - Nov 06, 2008
- India, Angola sign deal for hydrocarbon sector - Nov 02, 2010
- ONGC-led consortium to invest $3 billion in Venezuela - Jul 11, 2012
- India looks at Russia for assured oil supply - Nov 25, 2008
- OVL records highest production from foreign assets - Aug 19, 2010
- Deora returns home after successful visit of Russia - Nov 06, 2008
- India, Angola to speed up petroleum sector cooperation - Oct 31, 2010
- ONGC Videsh targets 20 mn tonnes output by 2020 - Aug 18, 2011
- India looks at Central Asia for hydrocarbon ventures - Oct 24, 2008
- Murli Deora to lead high-level delegation to Vietnam - Jul 20, 2010
- Deora calls on Vietnamese Prime Minister - Jul 22, 2010