India, Israel to hold FTA talks Aug 14-16August 13th, 2012 - 8:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 13 (IANS) In an important step that will scale up their economic ties, India and Israel will hold the fifth round of negotiations over a free trade area (FTA) agreement here from Tuesday.
The negotiations, to be held Aug 14-16, will be led by D.S. Dhesi, joint secretary in the Indian commerce ministry and Ohad Cohen, deputy director general of the Israeli ministry of industry and trade.
The accelerated FTA negotiations coincide with 20 years of the establishment of full diplomatic relations between the two countries.
The bilateral free trade pact will be focusing on goods, services and investments.
“The FTA is expected to expand the basket of goods that will be traded and create significant and substantial business opportunities for traders and businesspersons of both countries,” the Israeli embassy said here Monday.
In the last two decades since the two countries established diplomatic ties, bilateral trade has shown an exponential increase to over $5 billion from just $180 million in 1992. Trade between the two countries encompass diamonds, chemicals, machinery, IT and agro-technologies.
“India is of Israel’s most important trade partners. Israel’s industry is keen to expand its activity in India, and we see a growing interest on both sides for cooperation in various sectors, including water and energy technologies, ICT, and agriculture,” said Yonatan Ben Zaken, Israel’s commercial attache here.
- FTA will bolster India-Israel trade: Envoy - Dec 07, 2011
- India, Israel sign extradition pact, to forge anti-terror strategy (Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- India-Israel trade can go up to $15 bn, says envoy - Jun 20, 2012
- 26/11 brings India, Israel closer - Nov 26, 2010
- CII signs deal for Israeli technology - Jun 01, 2011
- India calls for stepping up anti-terror effort with Israel - Jan 10, 2012
- Israel's focus on IT, biotech in trade with India - Sep 13, 2011
- Krishna to boost ties with Middle East, Israel - Jan 07, 2012
- India, New Zealand eye trade pact; discuss IT, agriculture (Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- India, Thailand to boost anti-terror cooperation, to sign FTA (Second Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Israel favours joint R&D; ventures with China - Apr 02, 2012
- Israeli envoy for collaboration in agriculture - Sep 13, 2011
- New Zealand 'determined' to conclude FTA with India - Apr 24, 2012
- EU wants close ties with India's IT sector - Nov 22, 2011
- Israel backs India for UN permanent seat - Jan 10, 2012
Tags: agro, bilateral trade, business opportunities, commerce ministry, commercial attache, deputy director general, diplomatic relations, diplomatic ties, economic ties, energy technologies, exponential increase, free trade pact, indian commerce, israeli embassy, negotiations, New Delhi, ohad, substantial business, trade partners, yonatan