India invites bids for 197 military helicoptersJuly 24th, 2008 - 8:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 24 (IANS) India Thursday invited bids for 197 utility helicopters for the army and the air force Thursday, with the choppers expected to be inducted by 2010 in a deal that has been valued at Rs.30 billion ($750 million), an official said. Between them, the two services require 312 helicopters but the size of the tender was reduced after state-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) assured the defence ministry that it would be in a position to develop a similar platform and supply the remaining 115 machines in the next five to six years, a defence ministry official said.
“The request for proposal (RFP) for 197 helicopters - 133 for the army and 64 for the air force was issued today (Thursday),” the official added.
The Indian Army urgently needs replacements for its ageing 1970s-vintage Chetak and Cheetah helicopters, as it modernises and expands its Army Aviation Corps (AAC) to meet current and future rapid mobility battlefield requirements.
The Indian Air Force also uses Chetaks and Cheetahs to ferry supplies in high-altitude regions like the Siachen glacier in Jammu and Kashmir - considered the world’s highest and coldest battlefield.
“Three months time will be given to the vendors to respond to the RFP, followed by three months of scrutiny (of the bids received). Thereafter, the army and the air force will jointly evaluate the helicopters (on offer). This process is likely to be completed by the end of 2009,” the official said.
Six contenders are in the fray: the Eurocopter AS550-C3 manufactured by a four-nation European consortium, the Bell-407 and the MD500 of the US, the Agusta of Italy, and the Kamov and Kazan of Russia.
The deal will be negotiated on the provisions laid down the Defence Procurement Procedure-2006 (DPP-2006) as the rervised DPP-2008 is yet to be announced.
“There will be a licensed transfer of technology to HAL but only for maintenance of the helicopters,” the official added.
- Navy floats $900 mn tender for utility choppers - Aug 10, 2012
- Tender for 197 military helicopters to be floated Thursday - Jul 23, 2008
- IAF chopper fleet to fly high with 300 new machines - Mar 03, 2011
- Attack choppers to add teeth to Indian Army's strike corps (With Images) - May 18, 2011
- Hindustan Aeronautics to make light utility, medium lift copters - Dec 23, 2008
- India gives Cheetah helicopter to Namibian Air Force, two Chetaks in pipeline - Feb 10, 2011
- India to invite bids for 312 light helicopters - Apr 09, 2008
- 'Protectionism won't benefit Indian defence industry' - Mar 30, 2012
- India delivers Cheetah helicopter to Namibia - Feb 09, 2011
- Eurocopter to mark significant presence at DEFEXPO 2010 - Feb 12, 2010
- HAL to make 187 light choppers, army says 'nothing doing' - Apr 10, 2008
- Armed forces to replace Cheetah, Chetak helicopters by 2010 - Jul 23, 2008
- Eurocopter launches Indian subsidiary to capture 50 percent market - Oct 20, 2010
- Sikorsky offers military choppers to India (With image) - Mar 04, 2012
- India set to decide major military aircraft deals - Jun 16, 2011
Tags: altitude regions, army aviation, bell 407, cheetahs, chetak, defence ministry, defence procurement, european consortium, indian air force, indian army, jammu and kashmir, kamov, md500, military helicopters, procurement procedure, proposal rfp, rapid mobility, request for proposal, siachen glacier, utility helicopters