India has borne global financial crisis well: PMJune 17th, 2009 - 11:28 pm ICT by IANS
By Manish Chand
On Board Air India One, June 17 (IANS) With the Indian economy showing signs of recovery, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Wednesday said the country had borne the global downturn “well” and called for a new world economic architecture.
“We live in times of rapid economic change when the BRIC economies are a factor of stability and growth,” Manmohan Singh told journalists while returning from Russia.
Manmohan Singh participated in the first summit of Brazil, Russia, India and China (BRIC) in the Russian city of Yekaterinburg that focused on mapping a new global financial architecture and a bigger voice for emerging economies in international financial institutions.
“India has borne the global economic crisis well, though we have not been unaffected,” he said, indicating his optimism in a recovery of the Indian economy from the side-effects of the financial meltdown.
“The visit has reinforced my sense of the significance of India’s engagement with the world, particularly at this time of economic crisis and political change,” he said.
Asked if the BRIC leaders discussed replacing dollar with an alternative global currency, the prime minister said it was “a complex issue, replacing dollar by other currency - National or SDRs.
“And it was felt that this matter required proper examination by our foreign ministers and governors of central banks,” he said.
- BRICS seeks revamp in global monetary system (Roundup) - Apr 14, 2011
- BRICS to sign pacts for trade in local currencies - Mar 26, 2012
- India gears up to host BRICS summit in March - Dec 23, 2011
- BRICS source of stability in time of recession: PM - Dec 15, 2011
- World economic recovery uneven, says Chinese Trade Minister - Apr 13, 2011
- BRICS to sign unique pact at Sanya to use own currencies for lending and grants - Apr 13, 2011
- BRICS academics to flesh out agenda for summit - Mar 03, 2012
- BRICS credit: Local currencies to replace dollar - Apr 14, 2011
- BRICS to ink currency pacts, to push joint bank - Mar 28, 2012
- BRICS to set up joint bank, backs dialogue on Iran, Syria (Roundup) - Mar 29, 2012
- BRICS can transform global governance: India - Mar 05, 2012
- BRICS Summit - Facts at a glance - Mar 28, 2012
- Local currencies to replace dollar for BRICS credit - Apr 13, 2011
- BRICS summit to focus on fixing global recession: India - Jan 31, 2012
- Rising trade deficit with China a matter of concern: Anand Sharma - Apr 13, 2011
Tags: air india, bric, central banks, emerging economies, financial meltdown, global currency, global downturn, global economic crisis, global financial architecture, global financial crisis, indian economy, international financial institutions, manmohan, manmohan singh, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rapid economic change, russian city, sdrs, yekaterinburg