India growing market for New ZealandMarch 19th, 2011 - 4:39 pm ICT by IANS
Hamilton (New Zealand), March 19 (IANS) India and New Zealand have seen a steady growth in bilateral trade, mostly in the tourism and education sectors, with business between the two countries reaching nearly $870 million in the past two years.
India is now New Zealand’s 10th largest market, with exports worth 902.3 million New Zealand dollars for the year ending January 2011, while imports from India were valued at 366 million New Zealand dollars for the same period, according to the New Zealand ministry of foreign affairs and trade.
Coal has led the list of trade items with India in recent years and dairy products and fruit have recently become significant business items.
Sunny Kaushal, director of ANZ Wine Limited, said there has been an increase in interest in the Indian market among New Zealand’s companies.
“India is a fast growing economy of more than 1.1 billion people. There are great opportunities for growth in trade between two countries and so an FTA (free trade agreement) would be a valuable platform to build that trade,” he said.
Richard Howard, former chairman of the New Zealand Association for Migration and Investment, said: “I am sure part of the increase in trade between New Zealand and India can be directly attributed to the personal and professional relationships, which have developed from the significant increase in education, tourism and migration that New Zealand has experienced from India especially in the past five years.”
- FTA would complement Indian reforms: New Zealand minister - Jul 27, 2012
- India-New Zealand trade talks likely early next year - Nov 30, 2009
- Australia's ANZ Banking Group posts $5.5 bn profit - Nov 03, 2011
- India seeks New Zealand's technology, investment - Jun 28, 2011
- New Zealand PM embarks on first visit to India - Jun 25, 2011
- New Zealand 'determined' to conclude FTA with India - Apr 24, 2012
- India, Israel to hold FTA talks Aug 14-16 - Aug 13, 2012
- Free trade agreement with New Zealand soon: Anand Sharma - May 10, 2011
- India-Thailand FTA by middle of 2012 - Jan 25, 2012
- Mining, energy new areas of Indo-Australian cooperation - May 03, 2010
- New Zealand PM to visit India - Jun 13, 2011
- India should ensure investment safety: German envoy (Interview) - Aug 12, 2012
- Canadian lumber now available in India - Jan 17, 2011
- India-Sri Lanka CEOs Forum to hold first meet Saturday - Aug 03, 2012
- Indo-UAE trade registers growth of 300 pct in last five years: Anand Sharma - Feb 10, 2011
Tags: 1 billion, bilateral trade, coal, companies india, dairy products, economy, education sectors, foreign affairs and trade, free trade agreement, hamilton new zealand, march 19, migration, ministry of foreign affairs, ministry of foreign affairs and trade, new zealand association, new zealand dollars, new zealand ministry, new zealand ministry of foreign affairs, professional relationships, wine