India gets $250 mn infrastructure loan from ADBMarch 21st, 2011 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 21 (IANS) The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has offered India a $250 million loan for expanding road networks and power projects in Gujarat, Maharashtra and Rajasthan, an official said Monday.
The long-term loan is part of the $700 million multi-tranche financing facility committed by the ADB in 2009 to help develop infrastructure projects in India.
Public-private-partnership projects are given priority under the scheme.
“ADB support is enabling the company to leverage around 5 to 7 times its own resources by increasing the confidence of other lenders and attracting private sector participation in public-private-partnership projects,” Hun Kim, Asian Development Bank Country Director for India, said in a statement.
The first tranche of $210 million has been earmarked to finance three sub-projects for improving roads and highways in Madhya Pradesh, Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, and in the National Capital Region of Delhi, and to partially fund a power project in Gujarat’s Kutch district.
The second tranche will fund 8 to 10 sub-projects to expand the road network in Gujarat, Maharashtra and Rajasthan by a further 906 km, and to provide additional funding for the Gujarat power project.
Venu Rajamony, Joint Secretary (Multilateral Institutions), Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance, on behalf of the Government of India, and Hun Kim, Asian Development Bank Country Director for India and Sanjeev Ghai, Chief General Manager, India Infrastructure Finance Company Ltd., signed the loan agreement.
Commenting on the deal, Rajamony said: “The India Infrastructure Finance Company is expected to achieve cumulative disbursement of $4.4 billion by the end of the current fiscal. ADB support has been critical in this regard.”
- $200-mn ADB loan for Madhya Pradesh power projects - Aug 17, 2011
- ADB offers $150 mn loan to improve railway system - Jul 10, 2012
- ADB offers $52 mn loan to curb coastal erosion in India - Aug 17, 2011
- ADB provides 250 million dollars to help India turn tourism into growth, jobs driver - Sep 29, 2010
- Lack of contractors hitting northeast projects: ADB - Aug 08, 2012
- ADB 150 mln dollar loan to help India improve its urban infrastructure - Aug 11, 2010
- ADB 170 million dollar facility to help Bihar, Maharashtra modernize horticulture systems - Sep 16, 2010
- ADB to fund two flyovers in Kashmir - Oct 08, 2011
- $315 mn ADB loan for Karnataka road projects - Jul 20, 2011
- ADB to help protect coastal areas in three vulnerable Indian states - Sep 29, 2010
- ADB to provide 7.4 billion dollar assistance to India for 2011-2013 - Jan 31, 2011
- India, ADB ink loan pact for clean energy project in Himachal Pradesh - Jan 18, 2011
- ADB to give $889 million for Himachal, Assam power projects - Jan 19, 2011
- ADB gives $300 mn loan for road projects in Madhya Pradesh - Jun 15, 2011
- ADB loan to improve power distribution in India - Feb 27, 2012
Tags: adb, affairs ministry, asian development bank, chief general, country director, finance company ltd, government of india, india infrastructure, infrastructure finance, infrastructure projects, kutch district, loan agreement, multilateral institutions, own resources, partnership projects, power projects, private sector participation, public private partnership, road networks, sanjeev