India funds railway line in Sri LankaNovember 21st, 2011 - 3:43 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, Nov 21 (IANS) India is funding a $150 million railway line to connect for the first time in decades the former war-torn north of Sri Lanka with the country’s south, an official statement said here Monday.
An agreement for the restoration of the Pallai-Kankesanthurai railway line in the Northern Province was signed between Sri Lanka and India, a statement from the transport ministry said.
The project is likely to be completed in 2013, said the ministry.
Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) leader V. Prabhakaran was killed by the Sri Lankan Army in May 2009 that ended a nearly three decades old civil war in the country.
The length of the Pallai-Kankesanthurai railway line is approximately 56 km, reported Xinhua.
This project would be funded as a part of an $800 million credit line extended by the Indian government at concessional rates with a repayment period of 20 years.
Another railway project in southern Sri Lanka is also being funded under an additional line of credit of $167.4 million provided by the Indian government.
- Krishna flies to Jaffna to assist ethnic Tamils - Jan 18, 2012
- Krishna unveils rail project in Sri Lanka - Jan 19, 2012
- Krishna wins Sri Lankan Tamil hearts with rehabilitation aid - Jan 19, 2012
- India to rebuild rail link in Sri Lanka - Nov 18, 2011
- India to fund development projects in Lanka (Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- Krishna brings healing touch to Tamils (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Krishna to visit Sri Lanka Jan 16 - Jan 07, 2012
- India opens consulate in Jaffna, launches Northern Railway line (Lead) - Nov 27, 2010
- Krishna heads to Sri Lanka, devolution tops agenda - Jan 15, 2012
- India, Sri Lanka likely to launch defence dialogue next year - Nov 23, 2010
- India to finance major harbour project in Sri Lanka - May 08, 2011
- Joint parliamentary panel begins goodwill visit to Lanka - Apr 16, 2012
- First visit to northern Sri Lanka by a president in 30 years - Jan 10, 2010
- Sri Lanka rejects latest war crimes video - Mar 15, 2012
- Solheim to visit Sri Lanka -- to mend fences - Oct 18, 2010
Tags: civil war, India, indian government, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, ltte leader, northern province, prabhakaran, railway line, railway project, repayment period, s south, southern sri lanka, sri lanka colombo, sri lankan army, three decades, transport ministry, xinhua