India food inflation edging close to double-digitAugust 11th, 2011 - 3:04 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 11 (IANS) There seems to be no respite from rising food prices for the common man as official data released Thursday showed India’s annual food inflation had risen sharply to 9.9 percent for the week ended July 30.
Food inflation had spiked to 8.04 percent in the week ending July 23 after a brief lull.
The latest rise in food inflation has been caused by rising prices of vegetables, especially onions, eggs, meat and fish, fruits and milk — basically everything a household requires everyday.
The primary articles index reported an increase of 12.22 percent for the week under review as compared to 10.99 percent in the previous week, according to data released by the Commerce and Industry ministry.
The index for fuels and power, which has a 14.91 percent weight in the wholesale price index, inched higher at 12.19 percent percent during the week under review from 12.12 percent in the previous week.
The headline inflation levels still remain close to double digits.
The following are the yearly rise and fall in prices of some main commodities that form the sub-index for food articles:
Onions: 36.62 percent
Vegetables: 14.61 percent
Fruits: 16.49 percent
Potatoes: 10.85 percent
Eggs, meat, fish: 13.44 percent
Cereals: 6.22 percent
Rice: 4.23 percent
Wheat: 2.57 percent
Pulses: (-) 5.95 percent
The latest spike in food inflation will again put the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) in a quandary as it has already hiked key interest rates 11 times since January 2010 to tame inflation.
The frequent hikes have made credit costlier and industry has been clamouring for a stop to the rate increases. In a surprising move, the RBI had in July hiked the repo rate by 50 basis points to further moderate inflation.
But with signs of slowing down in industrial output and another financial crisis looming after the US sovereign debt rating downgrade, the RBI will be more cautious in hiking rates.
- Food inflation declines to 9.03 percent - Aug 18, 2011
- Food inflation slips marginally, still above comfort level - Oct 13, 2011
- Food inflation rises to 9.80 percent; Pranab expresses concern - Aug 25, 2011
- India's food inflation declines further, still in double digits - Nov 17, 2011
- India's food inflation rises, another rate hike in offing - Jun 09, 2011
- Food inflation rises to 9.13 percent - Sep 29, 2011
- Food inflation falls to 39-month low of 6.6 percent - Dec 08, 2011
- Food inflation soars, crosses double-digits - Oct 20, 2011
- Food inflation dips marginally - Nov 11, 2011
- Rising inflation due to festive season demand: Mukherjee - Nov 03, 2011
- Food inflation declines further to 7.47 percent - May 19, 2011
- Food inflation dips marginally to 9.55 percent - Sep 08, 2011
- Food inflation falls a bit - Jun 02, 2011
- Food inflation touches two-month high (Lead) - Jun 09, 2011
- Food inflation slips sharply to 4.35 percent - Dec 15, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,