‘India expects Rs.455 bn investment in gas pipeline sector’October 21st, 2008 - 5:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 21 (IANS) India expects investments worth Rs.455 billion in the gas pipeline sector in the next four years, said an industry lobby report, released here Tuesday.The report, prepared jointly by the Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (Assocham) and accounting firm Ernst and Young (E&Y) said the amount will be invested in building the pipeline networks.
Though coal would remain the major energy source for India, the share of oil and gas in the primary commercial energy mix is expected to grow from the existing 36 percent to 41 percent in a decade, it said.
According to the report, an additional investment of Rs.800 billion would be needed by 2015 as gas pipeline network is becoming a priority in the Indian petroleum sector.
Currently, India has a 10,000-km long gas pipeline network, in which the state-run Gas Authority of India Ltd (GAIL) has 55 percent stake.
Assocham president Sajjan Jindal has said a significant expansion of gas pipeline network is expected over the next few years as India gears up to create a cross-country integrated pipeline network for promoting gas utilisation.
GAIL is already implementing a national grid project under which it plans to develop about 8000 km of pipeline networks across 15 Indian states.
Private sector major Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) is also implementing its own pipeline network project, which includes the development of a 1440-km Kakinada-Ahmedabad East-West Pipeline and a Southern India pipeline network.
Regional pipeline network exists in Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh, Assam and Tripura. Gujarat State Petronet Ltd is developing a 1200-km Gujarat gas grid, while Andhra Pradesh is also enhancing its gas distribution network.
- 11,000 km of LNG pipelines laid so far - Aug 21, 2012
- Consortium to invest Rs.12,500 crore in gas pipeline project - May 21, 2011
- Supreme Court questions petroleum, gas board - Jun 16, 2011
- GAIL to form joint venture to supply gas to Karnataka - Jun 08, 2011
- IGL stock rallies 29 percent on high court order - Jun 01, 2012
- India plans two national gas grids - Oct 19, 2010
- Andhra gets Rs.5.57 lakh crore investment at Partnership Summit (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- GSPC to undertake city gas distribution project - Jun 02, 2010
- Gas board questioned on Gujarat-Punjab pipeline (Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- GAIL to invest Rs.11,000 crore in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 14, 2012
- Petronet LNG to soon finalise investment in power sector - Sep 08, 2011
- Nod for Kolkata gas distribution MoU - Oct 20, 2011
- LNG terminal capacity to be doubled at Kochi: Petroleum Secretary - Nov 22, 2010
- Andhra inks MoUs for Rs.6.5 lakh crore investment (Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- Kerala leads in growth rate in investment projects: Assocham - Jun 20, 2012
Tags: gas authority of india ltd, gas distribution network, gas pipeline network, gujarat gas, gujarat state petronet, gujarat state petronet ltd, indian petroleum, pipeline networks, reliance industries ltd, reliance industries ltd ril