India expects $40 bn foreign investment this fiscalApril 24th, 2009 - 8:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 24 (IANS) Despite the global slowdown and recession in Europe and the US, India expects at least $40 billion as foreign direct investment (FDI) in the current fiscal, a senior industry ministry official said here Friday.
“The overall outlook for foreign investment is positive. The FDI for fiscal 2008-09 was around $37.5 billion and it will be around around $40 billion this fiscal,” Gopal Krishna, joint secretary at the Department of Industrial Promotion Policy, said.
Even though the economic growth is slow this year, Indian share in the global FDI has increased from 0.5 percent to 2 percent. “The outlook about India is very positive,” Krishna told reporters on the sidelines of a business meet.
His claim was supported by an industry survey, carried out jointly by Booz and Co and American Chamber of Commerce.
According to the study released here Friday, 70 percent of the US companies said their FDI plans were still intact even in the wake of the slowdown and about 80 percent said India would continue to remain an attractive destination for investments for the next five years.
“The FDI in India is driven by the local market demand,” the report said.
- India pitches for ratings upgrade from Fitch - May 17, 2012
- India gets $7 bn FDI in first quarter - Aug 14, 2009
- FDI inflow to India more than double at $4.66 bn in May - Jul 04, 2011
- Indo-German trade to touch 20 billion euros: Krishna - Jun 22, 2012
- Foreign investment in Brazil quadrupled in five years - Dec 16, 2011
- China predicts new surge in ODI - Jan 05, 2012
- FDI into South Africa soars - Jul 09, 2012
- Slowdown a concern, but India's growth story intact: Pranab - May 16, 2012
- India's growth may temper to 7 percent, rate hikes to go on: Deloitte - Sep 01, 2011
- June logs second-highest monthly FDI inflows at $5.6 bn - Aug 08, 2011
- Foreign direct investment into South Korea grows - Apr 05, 2012
- Economic woes are largely due to domestic factors: FICCI - Jun 04, 2012
- Mauritius invites Indian investments - Feb 08, 2012
- Rising interest rates affect industrial output, lowest in over 2 years - Nov 11, 2011
- FDI in retail at appropriate time: Official - Jul 05, 2012
Tags: american chamber of commerce, april 24, attractive destination, booz, department of industrial promotion, economic growth, fdi in india, foreign direct investment, foreign investment, global slowdown, gopal krishna, industry ministry, industry survey, local market, ministry official, New Delhi, next five years, promotion policy, recession, sidelines