India, EU to conclude trade, investment talks by Oct-NovJune 26th, 2012 - 9:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 26 (IANS) India and the European Union have agreed to conclude negotiations for a bilateral investment and trade agreement (BITA) by October-November this year.
“After a number of rounds of negotiations, issues of concern to both sides have been identified. We must devote our energies to addressing these issues as expeditiously as possible,” Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma said after talks with EU Trade Commissioner Karel De Gucht in Brussels Tuesday.
“India is keen on a successful and balanced outcome of the negotiations at an early date,” he added.
In their exchange, both sides put forth their views regarding the areas of mutual concerns.
Sharma emphasised that it is data secure and sought greater market access for Indian companies providing cross-border supply of services to the EU. He demanded that the EU ensure freer movement of Indian service professionals, including from the IT sector.
India also pushed for more access for the domestic industry and Indian agricultural products.
The European side put forward its concerns with regard to market access and patent issues.
Despite the eurozone crisis and the slowdown in the Indian economy, trade between India and the EU in 2011 rose to $108.8 billion from $83.46 billion in 2010.
- EU-India free trade talks reach decisive moment: Official - Dec 09, 2010
- EU seeks free trade deal with India - Dec 08, 2010
- India, EU to clinch FTA soon, to combat terror (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- India pushes for early conclusion of trade talks with EU - Nov 29, 2010
- Iran, trade deal high on India-EU summit agenda - Feb 05, 2012
- EU and South Korea sign Free Trade Agreement - Oct 06, 2010
- India taps Poland for access to EU market - Jul 11, 2011
- China must allow currency revaluation: EU official - Jan 12, 2010
- Belgium hopeful of India-EU trade pact by 2013 summit - Aug 08, 2012
- India, EU to discuss agenda for summit - Jan 13, 2012
- India-European Union set to expand business ties - Dec 10, 2010
- India-EU trade pact soon: Sharma - Apr 18, 2011
- India-EU close in on trade pact - Dec 10, 2010
- Belgium backs India for NSG, hopeful of India-EU trade pact (Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- India, EU firm up agenda for summit, discuss free trade - Jan 16, 2012
Tags: anand sharma, bilateral investment, bita, concerns with regard, economy trade, emphasised, indian agricultural products, indian economy, industry minister, investment talks, karel de gucht, market access, mutual concerns, negotiations, New Delhi, patent issues, service professionals, slowdown, trade commissioner, trade investment