India-EU free trade deal by end 2012: German envoyJuly 14th, 2012 - 7:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 14 (IANS) Germany expects India to conclude its free trade agreement (FTA) with the European Union by the end of 2012, despite the economic gloom the world over, to send out a strong signal that the two sides mean business, German Ambassador to India Michael Steiner said here Saturday.
A day after presenting his credentials to President Pratibha Patil, the envoy said Germany and India are all set to achieve their target of euro 20 billion ($24.4 bn) bilateral trade by the end of this year.
“I am very much looking forward that what the (Indian) commerce minister (Anand Sharma) envisaged with his European Commission colleague to have the European Union-India free trade agreement by the end of this year,” Steiner told reporters here.
“That will be the important part of a long term perspective and direction to the European Union-India cooperation. Under the present circumstances (economic slowdown), a lot of questions are asked where we go and doubts expressed if the processes are dynamic enough.
“I think if we have the settlement of this agreement, that will be a powerful signal despite these gloomy perceptions and a sign that we mean business to allow more trade and investment,” he said about the FTA.
The FTA, the envoy said, will cover a very broad spectrum including insurance and automobiles to everything else.
The Indian automobiles industry has raised an alarm over the sector being included in the FTA, claiming it will kill investments and technology flow into the country, resulting in under-achievement of the government’s automotive mission plan.
European Union is India’s largest trading partner and Germany the largest European trading partner.
- German apex court ruling on EU debt will benefit India, says envoy - Sep 12, 2012
- India should ensure investment safety: German envoy (Interview) - Aug 12, 2012
- India holds promise for German companies, says envoy - Jan 04, 2012
- Iran, trade deal high on India-EU summit agenda - Feb 05, 2012
- India, EU firm up agenda for summit, discuss free trade - Jan 16, 2012
- India-EU trade deal talks 'critically poised' - Feb 06, 2012
- Britain hopes for EU-India free trade accord this year - Mar 18, 2011
- Indo-EU Free Trade Agreement by end of the year: Sharma - Jul 29, 2010
- Belgium hopeful of India-EU trade pact by 2013 summit - Aug 08, 2012
- The sky is the limit for ASEAN-India cooperation (Comment) - Oct 27, 2010
- India, EU to hold trade pact talks next week - Jan 18, 2010
- India, Germany set ambitious trade target - Dec 12, 2010
- PM to visit Belgium, Germany to expand bilateral ties - Dec 07, 2010
- Indo-German trade to touch 20 billion euros: Krishna - Jun 22, 2012
- India-Israel trade can go up to $15 bn, says envoy - Jun 20, 2012
Tags: anand sharma, bilateral trade, broad spectrum, commerce minister, economic gloom, economic slowdown, european commission, free trade agreement, fta, german ambassador, german envoy, indian automobiles, indian commerce, july 14, michael steiner, perceptions, president pratibha patil, strong signal, target, term perspective