India delivers Cheetah helicopter to NamibiaFebruary 9th, 2011 - 9:22 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Feb 9 (IANS) Defence behemoth Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) Wednesday handed over an Indian-made Cheetah utility helicopter to the Namibian Air Force (NAF) at the AeroIndia aviation trade expo here. Two more Chetak helicopters are in the pipeline.Namibian Defence Minister Major General (retd) Charles Namolah received the chopper from HAL director P. Soundara Rajan on the first day of the biennial five-day event at the Yelahanka air base on the outskirts of this aerospace hub.
“We will provide ground support equipment, ground handling equipment and initial set of spares for maintaining the copter, besides training to Namibian pilots and ground crew,” Rajan said at the event.
Powered by a Turbomeca Artosute III B turboshaft engine, the high-performance chopper is designed for operation over a wide range of weight, centre of gravity and altitude conditions.
HAL had signed a contract with the Namibian defence ministry in April 2009 to supply one Cheetah and two Chetak copters with associated equipment.
“We are committed to deliver the two Chetaks to the NAF in June and the work is in full swing,” Rajan said.
HAL’s helicopter division manufactures the five-seater Cheetah helicopter in its Bangalore complex. The chopper can also be used for transporting passengers and cargo, as also for casualty evacuation, search and rescue, and surveillance and observation.
The Namibian delegation visiting the South Asia’s biggest air show includes its High Commissioner to India Samuel K. Mbambo, and NAF Commander Air Vice Marshal M.K. Pinehas.
- India gives Cheetah helicopter to Namibian Air Force, two Chetaks in pipeline - Feb 10, 2011
- Navy floats $900 mn tender for utility choppers - Aug 10, 2012
- Technical snag cuts short indigenous chopper's flight - Feb 10, 2011
- India test flies light combat chopper successfully - Mar 30, 2010
- Army loses two pilots in Nashik chopper crash (Second lead) - Feb 02, 2011
- Women IAF pilots shine in Sikkim relief - Sep 24, 2011
- Eurocopter launches Indian subsidiary to capture 50 percent market - Oct 20, 2010
- Arunachal has witnessed several air crashes - May 01, 2011
- Chetak chopper crashes, pilots escape with minor injuries (Lead) - Aug 27, 2010
- IAF chopper fleet to fly high with 300 new machines - Mar 03, 2011
- Hindustan Aeronautics to make light utility, medium lift copters - Dec 23, 2008
- Light Combat Helicopter unveiled for armed forces - May 23, 2010
- Eurocopter to mark significant presence at DEFEXPO 2010 - Feb 12, 2010
- Chetak chopper crashes, pilots safe - Aug 27, 2010
- South Asia's largest aero show takes off Wednesday - Feb 08, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,