India decides to cut Iran crude imports by 11 percentMay 15th, 2012 - 4:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 15 (IANS) In the face of US sanctions on Iran, India has decided to reduce crude oil imports from the gulf nation by 11.1 percent to 15.5 million tonnes during the 2012-13 fiscal, Parliament was informed Tuesday.
“The target fixed for import of crude oil from Iran for the year 2012-13 is approximately 15.5 million tonnes,” Minister of State for Petroleum and Natural Gas R.P.N. Singh told the Rajya Sabha.
Total crude oil imported from Iran by Indian companies during 2010-11 and 2011-12 was 18.50 million tonnes and 17.44 million tonnes, respectively, Singh said in a written reply.
India imports 80 percent of its crude oil requirements of which Iran supplies as much as 12 percent.
Iran is India’s second largest oil supplier. But the US has been rallying for reduction of crude imports to force the Islamic republic to stop its military nuclear programme that Tehran says is only for civilian peaceful usage
The US suspects that under the guise of its peaceful nuclear programme, Iran is building atomic weapons.
Earlier, India had maintained that it was not possible to take any decision on reducing imports from Iran drastically as it was important in meeting India’s growing energy needs.
Earlier this month in an interview to a television channel, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton had also said that the United States will work to help India with technical assistance to reduce its dependence on Iranian oil.
- India seeks shale gas supplies from US - May 16, 2012
- Iranian president calls up Manmohan Singh - May 18, 2012
- No tanker shortage to ship Iranian crude: MRPL - Mar 21, 2012
- India asks Saudi Arabia to hike crude oil supply - Feb 23, 2012
- India seeks more oil, gas from Nigeria - Aug 15, 2011
- India says it's free to decide on Iran oil imports - May 10, 2012
- India, US on same page on Iran's n-programme (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Amid sanctions, Indian business delegation heads to Iran - Mar 09, 2012
- Enough global oil to sideline Iran: Obama - Mar 31, 2012
- India under pressure to cut oil imports from Iran: Clinton - May 07, 2012
- Despite sanctions, India to ramp up ties with Iran - Mar 01, 2012
- Iran can produce four atom bombs: Israel - Feb 03, 2012
- Clinton visit: India to juggle ties with US, Iran - May 05, 2012
- India won't reduce oil imports from Iran: Mukherjee - Jan 30, 2012
- India's oil refining capacity to rise to 238 mn tonnes by 2013 - Dec 05, 2011
Tags: 5 million, 50 million, atomic weapons, crude oil imports, dependence, guise, hillary clinton, india imports, iranian oil, minister of state, natural gas, New Delhi, oil supplier, rajya sabha, target, tehran, television channel, tonnes, us secretary of state, year 2012