‘India, Canada trade to touch $15 billion by 2015′ (Lead)July 27th, 2011 - 12:09 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 26 (IANS) Trade between India and Canada is set to reach $15 billion by 2015, from $4.5 billion in 2010, a top Canadian diplomat said Tuesday.
Canadian High Commissioner Stewart Beck said that the proposed Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement (CEPA) between the two countries is likely to conclude by 2013.
“Prime ministers from both the countries are committed to conclude CEPA negotiations by 2013,” Beck said at a programme organised by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) here.
Canada is set to increase involvement in India’s small and medium enterprise (SME) sector, besides scouting for Indian investment in coal exploration and education, the diplomat said.
“Canada aims to invest in India on a large scale, especially in the SME sector. Currently there are 250 Canadian SMEs in India. We hope to increase it to 750 SMEs through client acquisition,” said Beck.
The envoy invited Indian investment in Canada, especially in coal exploration and education sectors. “Countries like Japan have invested in these sectors. There is no reason why Indian companies cannot do the same,” he said.
On investment opportunities in West Bengal, Beck said: “Canada is looking forward to investment in education, agriculture and mining sector in the state.”
- Canada seeks Indian investment in oil exploration - Jul 26, 2011
- Trade between India, Japan set to rise: Envoy - Jul 10, 2011
- Canada showcases trade, investment opportunities in Gujarat - Jan 17, 2011
- Japanese firms to increase investment in Tamil Nadu - Jan 25, 2012
- India is 'top priority' for new Canadian government - May 05, 2011
- Canada is partner country at Vibrant Gujarat conclave - Jan 10, 2011
- Canada keen to invest in Himachal: Dhumal - Sep 12, 2011
- CII welcomes India-Japan comprehensive economic partnership agreement - Feb 16, 2011
- India is our key priority in trade: Canada - Jul 08, 2011
- India, Myanmar must conclude banking cooperation deal: CII - Nov 07, 2011
- 'India-Italy trade at 15 billion euros by 2015' - Oct 31, 2011
- Crisil to target SMEs in tier II, III towns - Feb 22, 2012
- India's SMEs welcome 100 percent FDI in single-brand retail - Jan 27, 2012
- India,Canada negotiate economic pact - Nov 16, 2010
- India, Canada favour increasing annual trade upto 15 billion dollars - Sep 25, 2010
Tags: agriculture, beck, canada trade, canadian diplomat, canadian high commissioner, cepa, client acquisition, coal exploration, confederation of indian industry, economic partnership agreement, education sectors, India, indian investment, investment opportunities, large scale, negotiations, prime ministers, small and medium enterprise, smes, west bengal