India, Australian state sign MoU in oil and gasJuly 15th, 2008 - 8:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 15 (IANS) As Indian firms eye Australian oil assets, India has signed a bilateral agreement with Western Australia for cooperation in the oil and gas sector. An Australian delegation led by deputy premier of Western Australia, Eric Ripper, met Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister Murli Deora Tuesday and discussed ways of taking forward the cooperation in the oil and gas sector.
“They felt that there is a large potential for cooperation in various activities especially in exploration and production, coal bed methane and LNG,” said an Indian government press release.
After the meeting, a memorandum of understanding (MoU) was signed between the petroleum and natural gas ministry’s Directorate General of Hydrocarbons and the Australian province’s Department of Industry and Resources (DOIR).
It was signed by DGH director general V.K. Sibal and DOIR deputy director general Stedman Illias.
The five-year agreement is aimed at enhancing cooperation and exchanging information on oil and gas related issues as well as on policy developments in various sectors.
The key areas of cooperation identified in the MoU are aquifer depletion specific to the oil and gas sector, enhanced oil recovery, coal bed methane gas, education and training, joint research and development.
In the latest round of bidding for Australian oil blocks, Indian firms like Reliance, Videocon and Essar are said to be in the race to pick up shares in the assets. The bidding will close in October.
Australian oil major BHP Billiton took part in the seventh round of auction of Indian oil and gas blocks and bagged seven blocks in partnership with GVK infrastructure.
- W. Australia Deputy Premier meets Deora, MoU on oil and gas cooperation - Jul 15, 2008
- India, Afghanistan sign pact on iron and steel - Apr 09, 2012
- India, US to sign shale gas deal during Obama visit - Oct 27, 2010
- India seeks higher crude oil supplies from Angola - Oct 31, 2010
- KG basin gas output 31 percent lower - Aug 02, 2011
- India looks to Trinidad for oil, signs 5 pacts - Jan 06, 2012
- ONGC Videsh inks deal with PetroVietnam - Oct 12, 2011
- India, Angola to speed up petroleum sector cooperation - Oct 31, 2010
- Andhra gets Rs.5.57 lakh crore investment at Partnership Summit (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- India, Russia sign 30 pacts - Dec 21, 2010
- UAE, South Korea sign MoU in health care - Mar 15, 2011
- India, Russia sign 29 agreements from defence to trade - Dec 22, 2010
- India keen to invest in Sudan's oil projects - Oct 30, 2010
- CAG critical of ONGC exploration performance - Aug 28, 2012
- Russia's Gazprom to supply LNG to India - Jul 21, 2011
Tags: australian delegation, australian oil, australian province, bhp billiton, bilateral agreement, coal bed methane, coal bed methane gas, department of industry and resources, deputy director general, enhanced oil recovery, gas sector, indian oil, memorandum of understanding, murli deora, oil assets, oil blocks, premier of western australia, sibal, sign mou, videocon