India-ASEAN FTA in services likely by 2010-endMay 6th, 2010 - 8:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 6 (IANS) After a free trade agreement (FTA) in goods, India now hopes to ink an FTA with the 10-member ASEAN bloc for services and investments by this year-end to broaden its trade basket.
“India has a competitive advantage. The services sector is a significant part of our industry and we want to broaden the trade basket with ASEAN through increased share of services exports to them… We want to get it done fast… hopefully, by this year-end. We will have this (FTA for services and investments signed between India and ASEAN) done,” Commerce Secretary Rahul Khullar told reporters here Thursday.
Under the proposed agreement, India is demanding liberalisation of trade in services and investments, particularly movement of professionals.
Once the pact is signed and implemented, Indian professionals will be able to increase their presence in countries like Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand which are part of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).
India signed the FTA in goods in August 2009 which came into effect in January 2010.
- India-ASEAN trade to reach $80 bn: Official - Mar 23, 2012
- India to sign CEPA with Japan on Feb.16, CECA with Malaysia - Feb 10, 2011
- India, Malaysia implement trade pact - Jun 30, 2011
- India, Asean must move beyond free trade in goods: Delhi Dialogue - Feb 14, 2012
- Trade with ASEAN to grow to $70 bn by 2012 - Jan 20, 2012
- India, Thailand target $10 billion trade by 2012 - Apr 05, 2011
- India to negotiate free trade agreements with Indonesia, Thailand soon - Oct 28, 2010
- India to speed up trade talks with EU, Japan and Malaysia - Aug 25, 2010
- India pitches for ASEAN pact in services, investments - Jul 11, 2012
- The sky is the limit for ASEAN-India cooperation (Comment) - Oct 27, 2010
- Belgium hopeful of India-EU trade pact by 2013 summit - Aug 08, 2012
- India, Israel to hold FTA talks Aug 14-16 - Aug 13, 2012
- India-Malaysia trade to reach $15 bn by 2015 - Feb 18, 2011
- FTA would complement Indian reforms: New Zealand minister - Jul 27, 2012
- India, Asean to ink economic pact by year-end: Anand Sharma - Mar 02, 2011
Tags: asean, association of southeast asian nations, bloc, commerce secretary, competitive advantage, free trade agreement, fta, India, indian professionals, investments, New Delhi, pact, presence, rahul, singapore malaysia, southeast asian nations, Thailand, which came into effect, year end