India adds record 15.6 mn new phone users in March (Lead)April 22nd, 2009 - 7:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 22 (IANS) Showing no signs of any slowdown and backed by heavy rural demand, India added a record 15.87 million new phone connections in March, to take its telecom density to nearly 40 percent, fresh data said Wednesday.
India, which already boasts of the second-largest telecom user base in the world after China’s and ahead of the US, now has 429.72 million telecom subscribers, both in the wireless and mobile segments, with a record growth of 59.48 percent last fiscal.
“With this growth, the overall tele-density has reached 36.98 at the end of March 2009 as against 35.65 in February 2009,” the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), the industry watchdog, said in a statement.
The maximum growth, the data showed, came in the wireless market, which expanded by 15.64 million subscribers in March, to 391.76 million. In the wire-line segment, the subscriber base increased by 230,000 connections to 37.96 million.
The broadband base also continued to expand at an equally fast pace to 6.22 million against 5.85 million in February, said the industry watchdog.
Industry has been attributing the fast expansion last fiscal, in spite of an overall economic slowdown, to the growing appetite in rural areas. Studies show that India’s demand in the hinterland remained robust, as against the decline in urban centres.
- India adds record 15.6 mn new phone users in March (Second Lead) - Apr 22, 2009
- Telecom growth continues with 15.87 mn new connections - Apr 22, 2009
- Number of new telecom subscribers dips in April - Jun 01, 2009
- Number of new telecom subscribers dips in April (Lead) - Jun 01, 2009
- Telecom sector revenues cross Rs.40,000 crore - Jul 13, 2009
- Rural areas fuel telecom growth in India - Apr 24, 2009
- India has 706 million mobile connections: TRAI - Dec 27, 2010
- India now has 858.4 million mobile phone subscribers - Sep 09, 2011
- India adds 20.3 million telephone subscribers in March - Apr 26, 2010
- India's mobile subscriber base touches 811.59 million - Apr 29, 2011
- India now has 811.59 mn mobile phone subscribers (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- Bharti adds 2 mn subscribers in May, India total now 929 mn - Jul 05, 2012
- India now has 851.7 mn mobile phones - Aug 08, 2011
- India's mobile connections at 687.71 million (Lead) - Dec 02, 2010
- India's mobile subscriber base crosses 840 mn - Jul 07, 2011
Tags: appetite, decline, density, economic slowdown, hinterland, industry watchdog, line segment, maximum growth, million subscribers, New Delhi, phone connections, phone users, rural areas, segments, spite, subscriber base, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india, trai, urban centres