Import of sensitive items rises nearly 43 percent in 2011-12June 20th, 2012 - 9:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 20 (IANS) Import of sensitive items such as fruits, vegetables, edible oil and milk surged 42.8 percent to Rs.100,911 crore in the financial year ended March 31, 2012, official data showed Wednesday.
Import of edible oil almost doubled to Rs.46,309.2 crore in 2011-12 as compared to Rs.29,319.1 crore in the previous year, according to data released by the ministry of commerce and industry.
“Increase in edible oil import is mainly due to substantial increase in import of crude palm oil and its fractions,” the ministry said.
Import of food grains declined at broad group level during the year.
However, imports of all other items like edible oil, automobiles, pulses, fruits and vegetables (including nuts), rubber, cotton and silk, spices, milk and milk products, alcoholic beverages, marble and granite and tea and coffee increased year-on-year.
The gross import of all commodities in 2011-12 was Rs.2,342,217 crore as compared to Rs.1,683,467 crore in the previous year.
This shows that the proportion of sensitive items in the total imports have increased to 4.3 percent in 2011-12 as compared to 4.2 percent in the previous year.
- Imports of sensitive items grew 14.1 percent - Jan 10, 2011
- Import of sensitive items rises 22 percent in April-July - Oct 07, 2010
- Imports of sensitive items rise 13.6 percent - Sep 14, 2010
- Retail inflation surges to 10.36 percent in April - May 18, 2012
- Inflation falls to 6.89 percent in March - Apr 16, 2012
- India's imports of sensitive items up 34.5 percent - Oct 08, 2009
- Agriculture reform at heart of Pranab's budget - Feb 28, 2011
- India's import bill on sensitive items up 34 percent - Jan 27, 2010
- India's exports drop by 5.71 percent in March - May 01, 2012
- India's sensitive items imports up by 39 percent - May 18, 2010
- Import of sensitive items rise 30 percent in April-August - Nov 11, 2009
- Increase milk, vegetables production to curb food inflation: Thomas - Oct 30, 2011
- CESC's consolidated net profit down 11 percent - Jun 13, 2012
- India's exports up 46 percent in June - Aug 01, 2011
- Inflation declines marginally, RBI rate cut seen (Roundup) - Apr 16, 2012
Tags: alcoholic beverages, broad group, commodities, crore, crude palm oil, edible oil, food grains, fractions, fruits and vegetables, fruits vegetables, group level, marble and granite, milk products, ministry of commerce, New Delhi, oil import, previous year, rs 1, spices, substantial increase