Implementing Food Security Act will be challenging: ministerJune 14th, 2009 - 4:40 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, June 14 (IANS) Minister of State for Agriculture K.V. Thomas Sunday said implementing the proposed Food Security Act by the UPA government would be more challenging than the National Rural Employment Guarantee Act.
Addressing reporters here, Thomas said the United Progressive Alliance government has included this Act to become a law within the first 100 days of the government assuming office.
“But this is a huge challenge because the first concern is that the definition of Below Poverty Line (BPL) has to be clearly made, then comes the issue of financial commitment involved and then the adequate food grain storage to see that this is implemented properly,” said Thomas.
The act, one of the main agendas of the UPA government, is to see that every BPL card holder gets 25 kg of either rice or wheat at Rs.3 a kg every month.
“We have already begun working towards this and soon there is going to be a brain storming session with different departments and also the state governments on this,” he said.
He also added that the fisheries sector has now been added to his portfolio, which has been a long-standing demand from several quarters.
“This sector has a lot of issues. It earlier came under different central ministries. This is the first time fisheries has been included as a portfolio under the agriculture ministry,” he said.
- Centre, states to discuss food bill (Lead) - Feb 06, 2012
- Pulses, edible oils may be subsidised to reduce prices: Food Minister (Interview) - Jul 26, 2012
- Cabinet clears pathbreaking food bill (Roundup) - Dec 19, 2011
- Cabinet nod to food bill likely Tuesday - Dec 12, 2011
- Food Security Bill is ready: K.V. Thomas - Jan 29, 2011
- Concerns on food bill to be addressed: Thomas - Feb 09, 2012
- Cabinet defers food bill as discussions inconclusive (Second Lead) - Dec 13, 2011
- Some subsidy may be restored to tackle drought: Minister - Jul 27, 2012
- Will delay in poverty survey affect food security bill? - Apr 10, 2012
- Government reviews food security bill - Feb 29, 2012
- BPL, APL families to get extra quantities of wheat, rice - May 19, 2010
- Parliamentary panel on food bill to meet Jan 23 - Jan 18, 2012
- Committed to food security bill: minister - Oct 12, 2011
- 'Food security bill before cabinet soon' - Jul 21, 2011
- Will Sonia Gandhi's Food Bill past muster? (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
Tags: act one, adequate food, agendas, agriculture ministry, alliance government, bpl card, card holder, financial commitment, fisheries, food grain, food security act, grain storage, june 14, kg, minister of state, poverty line, progressive alliance, quarters, state governments, wheat