IKEA to invest $1.9 billion in IndiaJune 22nd, 2012 - 7:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 22 (IANS) Sweden-based IKEA, the world’s largest furniture maker, will invest around $1.9 billion (Rs.10,500 crore) in opening 25 retail stores in India, Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma said Friday.
IKEA’s chief executive officer Mikael Ohlsson confirmed the investment during his meeting with Anand Sharma in St. Petersburg, according to an official statement released after the meeting.
The company plans to invest 600 million euro (Rs.4,200 crore) in the first stage and an additional 900 million euro (Rs.6,300 crore) later, taking total investment to 1.5 billion euro ($1.88 billion or Rs.10, 500 crore).
The money will be used for establishing 25 retail stores in India through a wholly owned subsidiary.
Sharma said IKEA had certain reservations about sourcing norms which were discussed with the officials of India’s Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP).
“Suitable answers of which were provided leading to the decision to invest,” Sharma said in a statement.
Sharma claimed that despite the problems in global economy and recent lowering of the rating outlook, investors’ confidence in India remains robust.
- India may tweak SME definition for IKEA investment - Aug 04, 2012
- Government for FDI in multi-brand retail, invites feedback - Jul 06, 2010
- Ikea names Punjab towel-maker as best supplier - Nov 04, 2009
- India, Russia target $20 bn trade by 2015 - Jun 21, 2012
- New policy to boost manufacturing share in GDP ready - Jun 03, 2011
- Battle ahead for government in allowing foreign retailers - Aug 29, 2010
- Indo-China trade to reach $100 bn by 2015: Sharma - Nov 03, 2011
- India allows 100 percent FDI in single brand retail - Jan 10, 2012
- France to invest $13 billion in India by 2012 - Dec 06, 2010
- India considering proposal from Swedish firm Ikea: Sharma - Oct 28, 2010
- Only 4 states, UTs support FDI in retail: Government - Aug 08, 2012
- Andhra inks MoUs for Rs.6.5 lakh crore investment (Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- Panasonic India eyes Rs.25,000 crore turnover by 2015 - Jun 25, 2012
- IIFCL to raise Rs.3,000 crore by March - Sep 04, 2009
- SPAR to open 24 more hypermarkets in next two years - Jan 28, 2011
Tags: anand sharma, chief executive officer, confidence, crore, euro 1, furniture maker, global economy, ikea, India, industry minister, investors, largest furniture, New Delhi, norms, retail stores, rs 6, st petersburg, subsidiary, suitable answers, sweden