IITs, IIMs to help MSMEs improve managerial skillsApril 26th, 2012 - 6:30 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 26 (IANS) The National Manufacturing Competitiveness Council (NMCC) is working on a mechanism that would enable experts from top educational institutes to help micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) improve their managerial skills and unleash innovations.
“We are trying to work out a mechanism to enable experts from top academic institutions such as IITs (Indian Institutes of Technology), IIMs (Indian Institute of Management) help Indian MSMEs become more competitive through improvement of their managerial skills, development of better quality products and become more innovative,” said Ajay Shankar, member secretary, NMCC.
Shankar was inaugurating the Intellectual Property Facilitation Centre (IPFC) which will help micro, small and medium enterprises protect their innovations, inventions and designs through patents and copyrights.
The centre has been established by the Federation of Indian Micro and Small & Medium Enterprises (FISME) as part of the mandate given to it by the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises under the National Competitiveness Programme.
This is the third such centre established by FISME after those already operational in Bangalore and Hyderabad.
“The IPFCs being established by FISME will not only offer the services mandated by the Ministry of MSME such as registration of patents, trademarks etc. but also a few additional services such as IP audit, IP management systems and an IP exchange in a bid to offer a complete business model for MSMEs,” said V.K. Agarwal, president, FISME.
MSMEs constitute contribute more than 50 percent of India’s manufacturing output and employ nearly 90 percent of the manufacturing workforce.
They also account for nearly 40 percent of India’s gross domestic product and 45 percent of the country’s exports.
Shankar said innovation and better IP management of MSMEs was critical for the National Manufacturing Policy to succeed leading to an increase in the share of manufacturing in India’s GDP and creation of additional jobs.
- Delhi to get patents centre for small and medium units - Apr 25, 2012
- New plan to help unregistered MSMEs: FISME - May 16, 2012
- 'Take 12th Plan to states' meet in Lucknow May 16 - May 16, 2012
- 50 innovation clusters to help MSMEs: Pitroda - Mar 28, 2012
- Small and medium industries complain of neglect in UP - Feb 06, 2012
- 'Rate hikes playing havoc with SMEs' - Oct 25, 2011
- Lift aluminium import duties, government urged - May 10, 2012
- Small, medium firms looking for smart, cheap designs - Aug 30, 2011
- MSMEs play a pivotal role in nation's development: Virbhadra Singh - Apr 06, 2011
- High credit and raw material costs affecting small firms: CII - Jun 20, 2010
- General Motors to source 95 percent of components locally - Aug 30, 2011
- Depreciating rupee boon for Indian manufacturing exporters - May 29, 2012
- Small enterprises can collaborate in defence sector: Former army chief - Feb 03, 2012
- Government approves mandatory procurement policy from SMEs - Nov 01, 2011
- MSMEs want separate pre-budget meeting with finance minister - Jan 14, 2012
Tags: academic institutions, additional services, bangalore, business model, gross domestic product, indian institute of management, indian institutes of technology, institute of management, institutes of technology, inventions, ip exchange, managerial skills, member secretary, national competitiveness, national manufacturing, nmcc, patents and copyrights, patents trademarks, quality products, small and medium enterprises