IIT-Madras, Lafarge to launch cement research projectMarch 23rd, 2011 - 5:03 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, March 23 (IANS) The first joint project by French cement major Lafarge Group’s research arm and the Indian Institute of Technology-Madras (IIT-M) is expected to kick start soon, an official said here Wednesday.
Speaking to reporters, Revindra Gettu, professor at IIT-M’s Department of Civil Engineering, said the research project will test the durability of concrete as a building material in different climatic conditions.
The cement major’s research arm, Lafarge Research Centre, and IIT-M last year signed a Memorandum of Understanding, under which the IIT’s civil engineering department set up a laboratory to carry out joint research programmes.
Lafarge Research Centre has funded the laboratory to the tune of Rs.1.5 crore over a period of three years.
According to Gettu, the tests will be conducted on concrete in different parts of India to identify the carbonation and its effects on concrete in different atmospheric conditions.
“Lafarge aims to improve the performance of concrete to address sustainable construction and global warming challenges. This is done through cutting-edge scientific research and forming partnerships with other institutes and organisations,” said Pascal Casanova, head of Lafarge Group’s Research and Development.
The French group has four cement plants in India - two in Chhattisgarh, and one grinding plant each in Jharkhand and West Bengal. Lafarge has also set up a gypsum plasterboard plant at Khushkhera in Rajasthan.
- IIT-Madras student found dead in hostel room - Sep 01, 2011
- Jairam hails apex court's ruling on Meghalaya mining - Jul 07, 2011
- Lafarge denies mining in Meghalaya despite court ban - Mar 20, 2010
- IIT-Madras event to showcase innovative products - Sep 29, 2009
- What ails the IITs (Comment) - Oct 25, 2011
- Apex court stops French firm's mining in Meghalaya (Lead) - Feb 05, 2010
- Apex court stops French firm's mining in Meghalaya - Feb 05, 2010
- Indian varsities slip in global ranking - Sep 06, 2011
- Chennai innovator gives voice to the voiceless - Aug 26, 2011
- Solar ATMs fuel rural revolution in India - Jan 03, 2012
- India, Australia collaborate for scientific research - Jun 26, 2012
- Apex court allows French cement giant to mine in Meghalaya - Jul 06, 2011
- IIT-JEE topper aspires to be a civil servant (Second Lead) - May 25, 2011
- US team in India to discuss nuclear cooperation - Feb 07, 2011
- Mexican scientists develop eco-friendly cement - Mar 05, 2011
Tags: carbonation, cement plants, cement research, civil engineering department, department of civil engineering, durability of concrete, french cement, french group, gypsum plasterboard, iit madras, indian institute of technology, indian institute of technology madras, lafarge, lafarge group, memorandum of understanding, pascal casanova, research arm, s civil engineering, sustainable construction, west bengal