IIP data indicates long-term optimism in Indian economySeptember 10th, 2010 - 9:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 10 (IANS) India’s industrial output, which surged 13.8 percent in July from 7.1 percent in the previous month, is an indication of long-term optimism in the country’s industry and overall economy, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee said Friday.
“We do know that there are fluctuations in this sector from month to month. Nevertheless, this figure indicates long-run optimism on the part of Indian industry and this, once again, underlines my own optimism concerning the growth of the Indian economy,” Mukherjee said.
He said the overall growth of GDP in the second quarter of current fiscal was likely to remain lower than the first quarter because of the base effect.
However, the wide fluctuations in the monthly data should be interpreted with caution, he said. “Though the capital goods production has increased by 63 percent yet, we must not over-interpret this very high figure.”
According to data released, 12 out of the 17 industries, which constitute the IIP, posted a positive growth in July. However, manufacturing sector that constitutes nearly 80 percent of the IIP rose the highest to 15 percent in the month under review, compared to a rise of 7.4 percent in the year-ago period.
- October industrial output slumps to minus-5.1 percent - Dec 12, 2011
- As factory output shrinks, India Inc. demands lower interest rates (Roundup) - Dec 12, 2011
- India's industrial output up 6.8 percent in January (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- As industrial output contracts, industry clamours for lowering rates - Dec 12, 2011
- India's April industrial output rises at a slow 6.3 percent - Jun 10, 2011
- India's factory output slows further in May - Jul 12, 2011
- Industrial output grows 4.1 percent; rate cut possible (Lead) - Apr 12, 2012
- India's industrial output bounces back to double digits - Sep 10, 2010
- Robust March industrial output may not be maintained - May 12, 2011
- Factory output dips by 1.8 percent in June (Roundup) - Aug 09, 2012
- GDP growth will surpass 8.75 percent target: Mukherjee - Sep 23, 2010
- Factory output rises a sluggish 4.1 percent, may affect GDP - Oct 12, 2011
- Rising interest rates affect industrial output, lowest in over 2 years - Nov 11, 2011
- Need to take measures, says Pranab on poor IIP data (Roundup) - Jun 12, 2012
- India's industrial output grows at 5.6 percent in August - Oct 12, 2010
Tags: capital goods, caution, economy finance, finance minister, first quarter, fluctuations, gdp, iip, India, indian economy, manufacturing sector, New Delhi, optimism, pranab mukherjee, s industrial, second quarter