IIM-Ahmedabad, Union Bank sign pactMarch 18th, 2009 - 9:38 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, March 18 (IANS) The Indian Institute of Management-Ahmedabad (IIM-A) and state-run Union Bank of India (UBI) Wednesday signed an agreement for fostering research on small and medium enterprises (SMEs).
The bank will provide a grant of Rs.20 million for starting ‘Union Bank Chair Professor of SME’ at IIM-A and for carrying out research programmes titled ‘Union Bank Research Programme on the SME Segment’ for a period of six years, institute director Samir Barua told reporters.
The deal has a provision to extend the programme and the chair professorship for a another six years.
He said the Chair Professorship was granted by the bank to a senior IIM-A faculty Sebastian Morris, who had been carrying out research on SMEs.
Added M.V. Nair, chairman and managing director (CMD) of Union Bank: “We chose IIM-A because of the fact that the findings of the research on SMEs would help us study and analyse the risk associated with the segment as well as improve the credit quality to the sector.”
“Credit worth Rs.14,000 crore (Rs.140 billion) advanced by the bank so far in the country has gone to the SME segment which comprises 16 percent of the bank’s total lending portfolio,” he said.
The bank recruited 18 final year post-graduate programme students this year from the IIM-A campus out of the 60 to be hired from IIMs across the country, Nair added.
- IIM-A seeks restoration of powers - Jul 22, 2011
- IIM-A developing sports management course - Jun 23, 2010
- Samsung to offer scholarships to IIM-A students - Jun 02, 2011
- Crisil to target SMEs in tier II, III towns - Feb 22, 2012
- SBI to open new SME branches in Bengal - Apr 27, 2012
- IIM-Ahmedabad facing funds problem: Samir Barua - Jun 24, 2010
- UBI to seek Rs.1,000 crore from government - Aug 16, 2012
- IIM-A placement process going great guns - Feb 21, 2010
- Gujarat to focus on education in a big way: Modi - Dec 27, 2010
- What's bothering Bihar's entrepreneurs? Ask 'MBA Sabziwalla' - Feb 01, 2011
- NSE to launch SME exchange in November - Nov 03, 2011
- IIM-Ahmedabad students face heat of slowdown - Mar 03, 2009
- IIM-Ahmedabad again raises fees for post-graduate course - Mar 30, 2010
- BSE SME exchange may come up by March-end - Feb 10, 2012
- BSE SME Exchange to come up with new index - Jun 30, 2011
Tags: bank of india, barua, chair professor, credit quality, crore, fostering research, iim ahmedabad, indian institute of management, indian institute of management ahmedabad, institute director, institute of management, nair, professorship, sign pact, small and medium enterprises, sme segment, union bank, union bank of india, union bank of india ubi, worth rs