IAF orders another 750 Akash SAMsFebruary 2nd, 2010 - 5:10 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Feb 2 (IANS) The Indian Air Force (IAF) has ordered an additional 750 Akash medium-range surface-to-air missiles (SAMs) from state-run defence behemoth Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL) at a cost of Rs.42.79 billion ($925 million), it was announced here Tuesday.
“A decision to place this fresh order with BEL was taken after the IAF expressed satisfaction with the performance of the Akash missiles that are deployed in two squadrons,” Defence Minister A.K. Antony said Tuesday.
The IAF will deploy 125 missiles each in six squadrons as and when BEL delivers them.
“The first order for 250 missiles was placed last year on a pilot basis. The IAF has decided to deploy the weapon in more squadrons for optimal use,” Antony said after inaugurating the digital flight control (DFC) computer facility at BEL here.
BEL chairman and managing director Ashwani Kumar Datt said that the first order was worth Rs.12.21 billion.
Designed and developed by the state-run Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), the Akash missile defence system is part of the country’s integrated guided missile development programme.
“The missile can target an enemy aircraft up to 30 km away, at altitudes up to 18,000 meters and can be fired from both tracked and wheeled platforms,” Datt told reporters on the margins of the function.
The missile is capable of carrying conventional as well as nuclear warheads with a payload of 60 kg.
On the occasion, BEL also handed over to the defence minister an advanced gun fire control system for the Indian Navy.
- India test-fires medium range Akash missile - May 24, 2012
- Indian Air Force twice successfully test fires Akash missile - Jun 01, 2012
- India test fires Akash missile twice - May 28, 2012
- Akash missile test-fired second time in three days - May 26, 2012
- BEL net dips 16 percent in 2011-12 - Apr 24, 2012
- Akash missile to be inducted to counter China - Mar 01, 2012
- India to induct Akash missiles, holds war game in northeast (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- Pakistan tests nuclear capable, short-range missile (Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- India to buy air defence missiles to secure vital installations - Apr 13, 2011
- February trial for naval air defence missile - Nov 16, 2011
- India, Pakistan successfully test-fire n-capable missiles (Fourth Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- Joint Indian, Singapore air force training from Oct 14 - Sep 30, 2011
- At 78, half of IAF's equipment obsolete: Air chief (Lead) - Oct 04, 2010
- Prahlada to now head defence institute - Aug 11, 2011
- India to integrate indigenous airborne radar in July - Apr 16, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,