IAF airlifts 313 stranded passengers between Leh and SrinagarFebruary 7th, 2012 - 7:36 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Feb 7 (IANS) Over 300 stranded passengers were Tuesday airlifted between Leh town of Ladakh region and Srinagar by special Indian Air Force (IAF) sorties arranged by the Jammu and Kashmir government, officials said.
Amir Ali, officer on special duty at the provincial headquarters, told IANS that 313 stranded passengers of Kargil were airlifted by an IL-76 cargo aircraft of the IAF.
“(A total of) 171 of these were flown to Srinagar from Leh while 142 were flown from Srinagar to Leh town,” Ali said.
The state government had Monday announced that special IAF sorties would be arranged for stranded passengers of Kargil town which remains cut off due to heavy snowfall on the Zojilla Pass that connects the cold desert Ladakh region of the state with the Valley.
Because of continued blockade of the Srinagar-Jammu highway due to heavy snowfall last month, the authorities had arranged special IAF sorties between Jammu and Srinagar for people stranded in either cities.
Besides, patients and stranded passengers are also being airlifted by the state government from snowbound areas of Gurez, Tangdhar and Doda during the winter months when the road connectivity of these areas gets snapped.
- Special IAF flights for people stranded in Kargil - Feb 06, 2012
- IAF airlifts stranded Kashmiris - Jan 30, 2012
- IAF airlifts 1,377 people in Kashmir - Jan 22, 2012
- IAF sorties between Srinagar and Jammu begin (Lead) - Jan 21, 2012
- IAF sorties for stranded passengers in Jammu and Kashmir - Jan 20, 2012
- Srinagar-Leh highway reopened after six months - May 02, 2011
- Kashmir cut off for third day, snowfall stops (With Images) - Jan 17, 2012
- Fresh snowfall in Kashmir, Srinagar-Jammu highway closed - Jan 14, 2011
- IAF to run sorties for stranded passengers in Jammu and Kashmir - Jan 21, 2012
- IAF rescues 61 people in Ladakh region - Mar 02, 2012
- Over 1,200 stranded passengers ferried by IAF (Second Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- Air services to Kargil set to take off - Jul 25, 2011
- Fresh snowfall in Ladakh, rain in Kashmir - Mar 26, 2012
- Those stranded in Srinagar, Jammu to be airlifted (Lead) - Jan 20, 2012
- Heavy snowfall in Kashmir, avalanche warning issued (With Images) - Jan 15, 2012
Tags: airlifts, amir ali, authorities, blockade, cargo aircraft, cold desert, connectivity, doda, government officials, heavy snowfall, iaf, indian air force, jammu and kashmir, jammu and kashmir government, kashmir, provincial headquarters, state government