Hyundai to supply Santro for Mumbai’s taxi fleetApril 6th, 2009 - 7:23 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 6 (IANS) Hyundai’s compact car Santro is set to be launched here as taxis after the state government ordered the phasing-out of nearly 7,500 ageing cabs.
The company Monday shipped 30 Santro cars to the Mumbai taxi union, saying it would supply 1,250 vehicles by the year-end.
“Santro is a proven and low-maintenance vehicle with lots of interior space. We want to make a breakthrough in the Mumbai taxi market and hope to start it with the Santro,” said D.C. Seol, Hyundai India’s senior general manager of sales in a statement.
According to a recent state transport department order, taxis that are over 25 years old will have to be phased out, which immediately takes out 7,500 of the 55,000 cabs plying on Mumbai’s roads.
The bulk of the city’s taxi fleet is made up of Premier Automobile’s Padmini model, which is not manufactured any longer.
Hyundai is offering the Santro cab at a discounted price of Rs.242,500 for the non-air conditioned variant, while the same model costs over Rs.270,000 ex-showroom in Mumbai.
The company said the Santro cab would feature the black-and-yellow colour scheme required for taxis.
- Mahindra and Mahindra receives 5,900 SUV bookings - Jan 27, 2012
- Mahindra to hike XUV500 models' price from next month - Dec 28, 2011
- Mercedes-Benz launches new M-Class in India - May 15, 2012
- Hyundai to increase production of Verna - Jun 28, 2011
- New variant of Hyundai's Santa Fe SUV launched - Sep 26, 2011
- Volkswagen to reduce Polo, Vento prices to boost sales - Sep 04, 2012
- Mercedes-Benz India to roll out entry-level cars - May 03, 2011
- Ashok Leyland prices Dost LCV at Rs.379,000 - Sep 13, 2011
- BMW launches super salon, Mini - Jan 06, 2012
- Audi Q5's diesel variant launched - Mar 28, 2011
- Advanced Bolero to attract more buyers - Sep 09, 2011
- Audi launches luxury sports utility vehicle - Jun 06, 2012
- Hyundai India sells two millionth car in domestic market - Nov 30, 2010
- Mercedes launches four-door coupe - Sep 08, 2011
- Eon, XUV 500 and Brio most online searched cars: Survey - Jun 05, 2012
Tags: breakthrough, cabs, colour scheme, compact car, hyundai, interior space, low maintenance, maintenance vehicle, padmini, santro cars, seol, state government, supply 1, taxi fleet, taxi market, taxi union, taxis, transport department, year end, yellow colour